• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

fried compressor, want advise.

jcskokos

Local time
5:36 AM
Reaction score
I bought my '67 in..... February I think, and it cost me a total of $1,700. It has factory ac in it, but a combination of factors led together for a grenaded compressor. Driving home one day the clutch bearing froze up( heck, it could have been frozen before and this was the trip that killed the compressor). I limped her home since I had to take off the alternator belt(s). When I got to work the that Monday I freed it up and now you can hear the awful knocking coming from the compressor just spinning away.

advise part: When I replace the compressor,clutch, and receiver drier is there anything else that will need attention? As far as I can see there is no visible leakage on any of the ac lines other than a little residue on the r/d. I tried just driving with the windows down, but the heat and humidity is just downright unpleasant right now and I don't fit many passengers on my bike. also does anyone have recommendations on where to get these pieces? I priced a few local shops and one has the compressor w/ clutch for $270ish, then O'riely has all separate fora little under $300. anywhere else may be nice. Thank you if you read through all this and have some input!:grin:

If the compressor came apart that bad, You'll want to make DANG sure that you clean the system out spotlessly. Because if you do not, any left over debris can get in the system and destroy the new compressor. You'll also want to install a new expansion valve and drier. Remove the condenser and make sure it's CLEAN on the inside. I like using brake cleaner and compressed air. Brake cleaner evaporates completely and leave no residue behind. Keep flushing it until it really clean, then blow it out with compressed air. Same for all the hoses, as well as the evaporator. Were the car mine, I would seriously consider restoring the HVAC box at this time. All it takes its the right gasket and seal kit and a new evaporator. I bet it's probably the original one. You do all that and I bet it'll cool like a big dawg again.

everything rusty said is correct.if your compressor failed really bad and you can see stuff in the system you may want to use an ac flush chemical rather then brake clean.murray just did some reserch on this and found fast dry flushes where not getting all contaminants out of condensers and evaporator cores.the fluid was not reaching the other side with out vaporising and therefore never carried out the garbage.we switched to a new ac flush here at the shop and have had no problems since.by the way,i know for a fact orielly just switch all there ac stuff to better quality murray products,so you should be safe using them.

ok, and do they carry all the flushes too? also are you saying I will need to replace the evaporator and condensor too? I aready had plans to do the compressor, drier, and expansion valve and a system flush which I had added up to about $300 or so. Thank you for the replies, I would hate to waste so much money to not do it right and have it break again.

I think you should be able to get the condenser clean. The evaporator however, I would replace for two reasons. First, it's usually the lowest part of the system, so moisture builds up there and it can corrode it. Secondly, it would be a PITA if you had to tear the HVAC box out after having done all that work. Plus, I am quite sure the seals in the HVAC box are toast. You'd have a much better product when done.....and yeah, if it was mine, I'd say screw it and replace the condenser, too.

Getting in a little late here. Are you sure the compressor is blown? Is the noise coming when the compressor is running or when the clutch is free wheeling? You might just have a bad bearing on the clutch. Might save a lot of work that you don't need to do. If you have any quesitons, ask before you take apart.

Sorry it took so long to reply, I have been recovering from a motorcycle accident and havent been able to get on the laptop much.
Getting in a little late here. Are you sure the compressor is blown? Is the noise coming when the compressor is running or when the clutch is free wheeling? You might just have a bad bearing on the clutch. Might save a lot of work that you don't need to do. If you have any quesitons, ask before you take apart.

Clutch is bad without a doubt, the bearing inside the pulley is destroyed. unless the clutch is a bigger piece than what I am understanding (the pulley+ an internal magnet in the compressor) it is the whole compressor. I have borrowed a co-worker's stethoscope and the sound seems to be coming from the left bank of the compressor. I would love if the clutch is all it is and I would only need to spend $150+ a flush, evac, and recharge. I am just worried that the damaged clutch tore part the compressor......

@ Rusty:
Is'nt the condenser the lowest point in the system and the evaporator protected by the reciever drier? Also please explain what the 'air box' is. regardless, where would you recommend getting a evaporator or air box seals... well anything you would recommend?

also side note: may help a little. I checked if there was any refrigerant in the system using the 'screwdriver test' and had a nice little spray out of the valve. Depending on the outcome of the insurance claim I may order a clutch assy. from o'riellys

No sir. The evaporator is inside the HVAC box inside the car. It is generally the lowest point. Sometimes a toss up between the evaporator and condenser, you may be confusing the evaporator for the condenser. The Condenser mounts in front of the radiator and you're right, the drier is usually nearby. Although I wouldn't say the drier really protects anything. HVAC means Heat Vent Air Conditioning and that's the name for the box under the dash inside the car that has the heater core, the evaporator and a couple of cables and doors to route air. Condensers generally do not give trouble with moisture damage, because they dispell heat from the system. That's their job, so moisture doesn't hang out in condensers long. Evaporators, on the other hand sweat a lot. That's why you see water dripping out of the condensation drain when the air is running. There's also moisture present inside the evaporator, too. Although there is a drier in the system, it cannot dry the system 100%.

I've always considered the heating and air systems much like fuel systems. When you get an old car, you pretty much want to replace or recondition ALL of it. Because of moisture in the system over years, most all of the soldered connections have corrosion and if they are not leaking, soon will, especially on a system that's been down for a long time.

I think Schumacher Creative Services actually offers restoration gasket sets for HVAC boxes. If they don't have yours, they are not hard to find. On two piece boxes, I always just use silicone sealer anyway. The stuff lasts forever. There are a few gaskets though that you need ready made. They are easy to find.

also side note: may help a little. I checked if there was any refrigerant in the system using the 'screwdriver test' and had a nice little spray out of the valve. Depending on the outcome of the insurance claim I may order a clutch assy. from o'riellys

Hay, that's actually a good thing! Damned if I wouldn't try to replace the clutch and see if it'll go. That might mean there isn't much moisture and contamination in the system since it still is holding a charge.

ok, before I just jump into it, is the clutch just the pulley, or is there more to it that I have not seen yet? not that it would make much difference after I have the parts I would figure out how to replace it anyway, I just would like to have a little insight as to what I am getting into. Lately surprises haven't been a good thing for me. lol..
also thank you for the info, however I should have clarified my other post. I thought the condenser was physically the lowest point due to it being under the hood in front of the radiator and the evaporator was in the upper part of the dash...

Just take the center nut off and slide the pulley off. You'll see how it's made from there. It ain't hard.....but yeah, there's a little more to it, not much. Just a magnetic coil.

Last edited:
ok, before I just jump into it, is the clutch just the pulley, or is there more to it that I have not seen yet? not that it would make much difference after I have the parts I would figure out how to replace it anyway, I just would like to have a little insight as to what I am getting into. Lately surprises haven't been a good thing for me. lol..
also thank you for the info, however I should have clarified my other post. I thought the condenser was physically the lowest point due to it being under the hood in front of the radiator and the evaporator was in the upper part of the dash...
just to clairify,the ac clutch assembly is 3 peices.
the pulley
the magnetic coil
the bearing assembly
hope that helps a bit.all three peices fit together on the compressor shaft.

Ok Thanks guys! The picture and description on most websites arent very descriptive and are just a stock picture. I will put in my order as soon as possible, probably after tomorrow when my check clears for work.

Auto Transport Service
Back