• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fan choice

Gus chiggins

Local time
8:31 AM
Reaction score
Can somebody give me advice on which fan to use? I installed a vintage air ac system in my car ( 67 belvedere 383 big block, 2.50 radiator ). It has an engine driven fan right now, would a clutch fan be better? Right now if I keep the engine driven fan I will use a 2 3/8 spacer to clear the sanden compressor, and idler. I don't know which fan will work better, clutch, non clutch. Any help would be appreciated.

1. Do you use a shroud currently? If not, do so - and space the fan so that it is is half in/half out of the shroud.
2. Do you have a 22" or a 26" radiator?
3. What diameter fan are you currently running?

1. Do you use a shroud currently? If not, do so - and space the fan so that it is is half in/half out of the shroud.
2. Do you have a 22" or a 26" radiator?
3. What diameter fan are you currently running?
26 inch radiatior, I have a shroud, 19 inch diameter fan, i'll stick in a picture of the fan. The other two pics, I'm trying to show blade pitch, obviously aftermarket fan

20231212_165616.jpg

20231212_165631.jpg

20231212_165636.jpg

I have always had good results with the MP Vicous fan set up. It is a clutch set up and the fan, IIRC, is 19 inches. Also a Flow Kooler or Milodon water pump that has a round flat plate spot welded to the impeller. This was used with ether a rebuilt or new radiator & shroud.

A stock style fan pitch on the blades I think is important. The diameter should fit within the shroud closely with the fan blades inside the shroud. Not beyond, nor just up close. I strive for approximately half way into the shroud. The fan blades should also not be to close to the radiator. While I have seen, read and heard a lot of opinions on the fan blades distance to the radiator, I try and leave about a minimum of a fingers width from the front of the fan to the radiator. This is not possible in all situations but this is what I try to do.

I have always had good results with the MP Vicous fan set up. It is a clutch set up and the fan, IIRC, is 19 inches. Also a Flow Kooler or Milodon water pump that has a round flat plate spot welded to the impeller. This was used with ether a rebuilt or new radiator & shroud.

A stock style fan pitch on the blades I think is important. The diameter should fit within the shroud closely with the fan blades inside the shroud. Not beyond, nor just up close. I strive for approximately half way into the shroud. The fan blades should also not be to close to the radiator. While I have seen, read and heard a lot of opinions on the fan blades distance to the radiator, I try and leave about a minimum of a fingers width from the front of the fan to the radiator. This is not possible in all situations but this is what I try to do.
Thanks, my radiator is 2.75 inches, i installed that particular radiator way before I installed the Vintage Air AC system, I'm experimenting with fan spacers, and i have an 18 inch mechanical fan also. I'm hoping something works ( correctly ) I hate to think I might have to swap another radiator that is not as thick as the one I have now. I hate cars, haha.

If such is the case that the new radiator is a bit thicker and causes a fitment problem, Hayden offers new clutch units. Find the “Hot Rod” clutch because it is very short in height vs a stock unit.

I used one on my 400 B- engine and an aluminum Summit radiator. It’s a close fit but it fits. You can see below how much room I had before I installed the fan. The pulley is on the WP and the aluminum radiator is installed.

I’m looking for the actual picture with the fan installed but I am having problems finding it in the sea of photos.

IMG_0163.jpeg

IMG_0164.jpeg

IMG_0189.jpeg

If such is the case that the new radiator is a bit thicker and causes a fitment problem, Hayden offers new clutch units. Find the “Hot Rod” clutch because it is very short in height vs a stock unit.

I used one on my 400 B- engine and an aluminum Summit radiator. It’s a close fit but it fits. You can see below how much room I had before I installed the fan. The pulley is on the WP and the aluminum radiator is installed.

I’m looking for the actual picture with the fan installed but I am having problems finding it in the sea of photos.

View attachment 1572980

View attachment 1572981

View attachment 1572982
Thanks for the info, yes, I am going to get the hayden clutch #2947, and an 18 inch fan, btw, I installed a CVF racing serpentine system, water pump, and housing. I measured the pulley to radiator, and it measured four inches, the pulley snout is one inch, so I should be good to go.

Thanks for the info, yes, I am going to get the hayden clutch #2947, and an 18 inch fan, btw, I installed a CVF racing serpentine system, water pump, and housing. I measured the pulley to radiator, and it measured four inches, the pulley snout is one inch, so I should be good to go.
That’s the one! An inch to spare as well. Perfect!
The pump snout will fit right inside and disappear.

One thing to be aware of with a serpentine set-up is the crank pulley is what they call an "underdrive" pulley. It will spin your fan, alternator and water pump slower causing less flow. It messed up the flow on my 440 six-pack Challenger. I ended up installing a flow Kooler pump which helped but only minimally. Good Luck.

One thing to be aware of with a serpentine set-up is the crank pulley is what they call an "underdrive" pulley. It will spin your fan, alternator and water pump slower causing less flow. It messed up the flow on my 440 six-pack Challenger. I ended up installing a flow Kooler pump which helped but only minimally. Good Luck.
Which serpentine system are you referencing? I also used the CVF water pump, and water pump housing, before i installed ac I never had any flow, or cooling problems, I have a 383, single four carb. I am not using a "stock" radiator. I don't know where you get your info on the crank pulley being underdriven, if that were the case CVF would have stated the pulley is underdriven.

Last edited:
They should state it and normally do since not doing so can cause problems for the end user (who maybe should have check it) and the company selling the product. The product should have been clearly labeled at the website.

The Flowkooler water pump on my small block stroker, significantly moved more water then the Milodon. It blew out my Real Gasket silicone thermostat housing gasket twice, moved to an o-ringed housing from Flashpower. The Milodon pump never did that. This is the impeller on my small block, maybe someone can say if the BB are the same.

20220327_144205.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back