• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Front end question

The red circle is the indentation in the backing plate for the lower ball joint clearance. The white line is the current "caster" and the green line is roughly where it should be.

Sure, the struts aren't tight BUT they're not going to pull the LCA that much further forward. I'm leaning towards the incorrect struts altogether.

***.jpg

Have the upper a- arms been off? I had a friend with a 69 RR who accidentally mounted them on the wrong sides. I forget how I spotted it - I think it was the swagged area the rubber bumper is supposed to hit on rebound - it was on the back side. It can definitely throw things off.

Edit: After studying your pictures more I think your are right - never mind.

What we need is someone to chime in with the length of an early B-body strut rod !!

That and maybe a picture from underneath, taken straight up showing the that side of the k-member and LCA.

OAL 22 3/4", shoulder to shoulder 17 5/8"

OAL 22 3/4", shoulder to shoulder 17 5/8"

Ok, there's a start!

So earlier somebody mentioned the UCA cam bolts. Those would give quite a bit of movement if each were cranked to their max - front all the way in and rear all the way out. Combine that with the loose struts and that might be the issue.

The OP should:
a) measure the struts
assuming they're correct:
b) loosen the UCA cam nuts and center the adjusters
c) tighten the struts
d) post a photo when all this is done.

Is it just me, or does the 1st photo in post #1 and the photo in post #35 look like the backing plate is in the same 'slanted' orientation (position)...just opposite sides of the car? If so...and post #35 is of an operating car, then there is no real problem.

Is it just me, or does the 1st photo in post #1 and the photo in post #35 look like the backing plate is in the same 'slanted' orientation (position)...just opposite sides of the car? If so...and post #35 is of an operating car, then there is no real problem.

Well it is a real problem because the bulge indicates where the ball joint is sitting and in the first photo its clearly too far back.

Ok, there's a start!

So earlier somebody mentioned the UCA cam bolts. Those would give quite a bit of movement if each were cranked to their max - front all the way in and rear all the way out. Combine that with the loose struts and that might be the issue.

The OP should:
a) measure the struts
assuming they're correct:
b) loosen the UCA cam nuts and center the adjusters
c) tighten the struts
d) post a photo when all this is done.
I agree with this and add ; max out the uca to furthest back, and loosen t bar and put the spindle at ride height when tightening strut rod mount. (Strut rod level with car)

So in this photo the green lines represent where the LBJ bolts are - the front bolt not being visible. Here's what baffles me ... I've never seen a LBJ with such a steep downward angle to the tie rod end.

zzz.jpg

Measured from Front of LCA to the end of threads after it goes through K-member 21". Don't know how much goes into and through LCA. Now didn't get on the floor, used cam adjustment hole to position tape measure. The fat man only gets on the floor to work on my car.:eek::D

After tightening everything up. It looks the same. I measured the strut from the k frame (around the bushing and washer ) to where it goes thru the control arm. Maybe it can be straightened with a alignment?

PHOTO_20220125_143935.jpg PHOTO_20220125_143945.jpg

Also ran a string line from ball joint to ball joint. Control arm run pretty straight with the line

dodge arrow.JPG
What is that nut and bolt at the 13" mark on tape measure? See that in pot #14 on right hand picture. Is there a sway bar on the car? From above can you get a picture so we can look at how it looks in K member? Something is really wrong, more photos but not all close need to get a better perspective. The red arrow in picture is my strut rod end, does yours look like that?

View attachment 1230358 What is that nut and bolt at the 13" mark on tape measure? See that in pot #14 on right hand picture. Is there a sway bar on the car? From above can you get a picture so we can look at how it looks in K member? Something is really wrong, more photos but not all close need to get a better perspective. The red arrow in picture is my strut rod end, does yours look like that?
View attachment 1230358 What is that nut and bolt at the 13" mark on tape measure? See that in pot #14 on right hand picture. Is there a sway bar on the car? From above can you get a picture so we can look at how it looks in K member? Something is really wrong, more photos but not all close need to get a better perspective. The red arrow in picture is my strut rod end, does yours look like that?
Looks the same. The bolt you see is the sway bar

After looking at the pic again, I think you may have nailed it. :thumbsup:
Thanks but don't think so, I thought it was passengers side. It's the drivers side, the upper A arm has an area for rubber bumper to hit. OP needs to pictures of one side that shows a larger area for a better perspective.

Auto Transport Service
Back