• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Front Wheel Bearing Seal

The old guys figured that if/when the bearing got hot the extra grease would melt into the bearings and maybe get u to a place to get it fixed. Kim

Just packing the bearings, once they heat up and the grease liquefies it can just run out and hide in the hub, if you fill the hub there is an endless supply of grease.. or so the theory goes.

Just for the record, I'm changing my stance again. I think TheRamManInc's YouTube video is wrong. I asked him if he would verify, though. We'll see. Anyway, gonna pop them out and do it with the extended rubber lip out. So, Team Outtie now. lol

I installed the seal with the long rubber lip pointed out away from the rotor, as most suggested. Here is the finished product. Hopefully I can get my calipers on this weekend, get the brakes bled, front end aligned and finally get this car back on the road. Its been down since early June :(

Here is a pic of the finished product. These are the 73 and later rotors with the larger diameter bearings. I went with the 11" because I could not find the "pin style" caliper mounting brackets for 11.75 inch anywhere.

IMG_0350.JPG IMG_0373.JPG IMG_0378.JPG

I installed the seal with the long rubber lip pointed out away from the rotor, as most suggested. Here is the finished product. Hopefully I can get my calipers on this weekend, get the brakes bled, front end aligned and finally get this car back on the road. Its been down since early June :(

Here is a pic of the finished product. These are the 73 and later rotors with the larger diameter bearings. I went with the 11" because I could not find the "pin style" caliper mounting brackets for 11.75 inch anywhere.

View attachment 996131 View attachment 996132 View attachment 996133

I don't know why I assumed your car was a '73 Charger, but obviously not since you don't have the calipers mounted to the rear, and also obviously not since QA1 doesn't make tubular UCAs for the '73+ B-Bodies and said they never will. I had to go with Firm Feel for those. So, what year is your Charger?

I don't know why I assumed your car was a '73 Charger, but obviously not since you don't have the calipers mounted to the rear, and also obviously not since QA1 doesn't make tubular UCAs for the '73+ B-Bodies and said they never will. I had to go with Firm Feel for those. So, what year is your Charger?
Its a 1970. My original intention was to go with the 73 and later spindle/steering knuckle so I could use a 11.75" rotor (my understanding is the 11.75" came out in 76). The problem I ran into was I wanted to keep my pin style calipers but couldn't find the larger caliper mounting brackets. So in the end I stayed with 11" rotors. You are correct though...….when you go to that 73 and later spindle, the rotor geometry bearing/seal area is a bit different than my original 70 rotors. The bearing seem to sit down further in the rotor, plus the long lip on the seal is all rubber, not rubber/steel. Was quite the learning experience but it all worked out in the end.

Saw this video testing Lucas Red N Tacky against a standard grease. Someone at an auto parts store recommended Red N Tacky for lubricating my suspension components over a year ago. I used it after completing my power steering swap last year. Going to check if I still have some left in the garage.

I think the photos of the seals I removed should settle the in vs out question.

36A5A0F3-F68B-431E-874A-0E96D0B3DCE0.jpeg

D89FF486-05EC-4A02-8915-87D10A67C78E.jpeg

258983B3-C94F-430B-A872-F34946DB8279.jpeg

Now is that the "outside" of the hub... or the "outside" of the car.. LOL Inner... Outer... the good thing is it will only work correctly ONE way ! Thanks for the picture..

I have always just packed the bearings. What's the reason for filling the cavity? I remember reading that in the FSM, but the reasoning eludes me.
No real reason to fill the cavity. There's nothing going on in there that need greased.

Like I said way back in the thread... folks seem to have success both ways. But I can't see Chrysler wasting the money on all that extra grease if they didn't see a need....filled is spelled out in the FSM.

Auto Transport Service
Back