Frustrated with my car

dvw

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:15 PM
Reaction score
I've built close to 30 727's in last year or two. No leak complaints except one. It was due to a worn converter hub. Most all had stock pans and cork pan gaskets. If the converter and drive shaft yoke are good, they won't leak. If it restarts imediately after stalling it shouldn't be a coil issue. Could be a poor connection in the primary circuit. I'd look at the ignition switch, firewall bulkhead connector, ballast resitor, underhood wiring, wiring internal to the distributor.
Doug

yella71

Local time
Reaction score
your in box is full get in touch with me

Mackman

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
Reaction score
I recently had the same type of transmission leak. Would leak after it sat a while. Dip stick tube o-ring.

cosgig

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:15 PM
Reaction score
First things first….
Go through the entire electrical system and clean all of the connections. Bulkhead, grounds, connectors, all of it. It’s free and will eliminate a variety of problems. Replace the ballast resistor and coil with extra pieces if you have them, which you should always have around.

Transmission…..shifter pivot seal is a likely candidate. And I concur that cleaning the entire trans, putting new cardboard down and checking for the leak will help to centralize the culprit. Also, if you have to go in and take the pan off, make sure the surface of the pan is flat, hammer the bolt hole area flat with a smooth faced hammer. . Don’t over torque the bolts, just like the cork valve cover gaskets, it’s easy to get carried away when it still leaks.

These are the joys of owning an old car, don’t look at working on them as a bad thing, it will help you get to know your car even better.

ckessel

Local time
10:15 AM
Reaction score
To find the source/sources of the incontinence, wash down the engine and trans with some degreaser. I have had very good luck with ZEP orange concentrate which I put into a small Hudson sprayer. With the wand you can get into all sorts of areas which cannot be gotten with spray cans. The citrus degreaser won't kill your painted items either btw. Once that is done, put some oil dye into the engine, trans and p/s pump. The dye can be had a parts stores or off of tool trucks. Also new car dealers carry them too for their tech's. Take it for a drive, say an hour. Get it up in the air and shine a black light on the units. Wherever the thing is leaking from will show up easily. Fix from there.

MoparThunder

Local time
Reaction score
I appreciate all the advice. I will try them. I'm used to my old classics leaking but this is almost ridiculous. Hopefully one of the suggestions will help. As for the starting issue, it does seem to me that it is out of fuel and has run back into the tank. All the fuel lines have been replaced along with the fuel filter. Nothing is leaking. I have poured a little fuel into the carb and it starts then shuts off so I know the fuel isn't there. I've owned this car for over 9 years so the newer fuel hasn't been an issueuntil about 6-7 months ago so not positive on the evaporating. I do get some leaking from the steering box but not a lot. I wish I had a lift so I could see more. I've lost confidence in local shops.