• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Frustrated with my car

Please avoid using starter fluid except in extreme emergencies unless your looking to burn a hole in a piston. Hard starting check to see if your maintaining fuel in bowl or mechanical fuel pump is failing.
Ditto!

#2 is actually two problems....

A) Not starting after a few days is fuel. The bowl is empty or you have an issue with your accelerator pump. Absolutely carburetor related.
Buy an Edelbrock and be done with it.

B) Shutting off randomly, I'd totally suspect the coil.
Ask me how I know.

Jeff

OK, FINALLY got it worked out..... I had a bad power cable tot he starter. Never saw it before but there was power at the beginning and middle of the cable but not at the end.... how that happens I have no idea. Plus the fuel filter and fuel pump were bad. Once the fuel filter was changed the fuel pump leaked out of the diaphram which was loosing vacuum and the fuel was rolling back to the tank. So far the last 2 days it has been starting. And the mini starter is great. Keeping my fingers crossed all is good now.

OK, FINALLY got it worked out..... I had a bad power cable tot he starter. Never saw it before but there was power at the beginning and middle of the cable but not at the end.... how that happens I have no idea. Plus the fuel filter and fuel pump were bad. Once the fuel filter was changed the fuel pump leaked out of the diaphram which was loosing vacuum and the fuel was rolling back to the tank. So far the last 2 days it has been starting. And the mini starter is great. Keeping my fingers crossed all is good now.

Battery cables can corrode inside the heavy insulation and it’s not obvious from looking at it. This has happened to me many moons ago and it was a great learning experience.

Auto Transport Service
Back