• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Frying noise from steering wheel?

Sorry - soldered = soddered. :p

You can actually see the wear already on the inside of the copper disc...

Is the head of that solder joint contacting anything like the red terminal point or the plastic of the turn-cancel mechanism?
Hm, could that small wear really make that noise?
Well, ive got a new adaptor on the shelf so will try that one.

No, solder joint runs free. No problem there.

Hm, could that small wear really make that noise?
Well, ive got a new adaptor on the shelf so will try that one.

No, solder joint runs free. No problem there.
Does the roller on the horn contact run freely? Maybe a small amount of di-electric grease will help it stay nice for longer.

Unless it is shadows.....looks like a small flat spot on top of the roller to me.

Are the tail lights flickering at all I had a couple of switches fail on the hazard light circuit on the indicator plate, does it change if you put pressure on the hazard light switch

Are the tail lights flickering at all I had a couple of switches fail on the hazard light circuit on the indicator plate, does it change if you put pressure on the hazard light switch
Will test.

Got the parts.
Hate throwing parts at a problem but ok, the signal switch is the only electrical thingy left of the old wiring.

It is surprisingly comfortable working on your car sitting nicely in the drivers seat with some Ozzy on the garage stereo.

IMG_20240518_080021.jpg

My new switch is from OER, check carefully when you insert the pins again as the greens seems to have switch place.

Yes, comparing new and old wiring I know, but better follow to the source to be sure.

IMG_20240518_081146.jpg

You do not want dielectric grease on the horn roller. DG is an insulator & the horn may not work.

Im so tired of new parts...

The little wheel on the new switch could turn....and it has edges on the wheel.
(The original switch wheel cannot be turned and the wheel is round.)

The new wheel turned and grinded my new hub to copper cereal....all to the tune of the horn going on and off when I tried to get back into the garage....

wtf....

IMG_20240519_171920.jpg

Im so tired of new parts...

The little wheel on the new switch could turn....and it has edges on the wheel.
(The original switch wheel cannot be turned and the wheel is round.)

The new wheel turned and grinded my new hub to copper cereal....all to the tune of the horn going on and off when I tried to get back into the garage....

wtf....

View attachment 1665298
Its happening a lot lately wrong & faulty parts being shipped i always try to buy made in the US parts even they are failing

Well, I am at a loss....

Right before the new signal switch failed I could hear the frying sound.
I got a new hub and really carefully checked my old signal switch and put everything back together.

Everything works perfectly....but the frying sound is still there.....when the engine runs and when the steering wheel is still.
Turning the wheel, especially to the left and it is quiet.

What now?
Some short/bad ground anywhere else that could shoot extra Amps to the steering wheel and cause this??

IMG_20240521_201628.jpg

Last edited:
spitballin'... pull fuses one at a time to see if it can be narrowed down?

In your picture the little wheel on the switch is at 90 degrees compared to the way the steering wheel rotates. They need to rotate together in the same direction of rotation.
If you get what I mean. Hard to put into words.

In your picture the little wheel on the switch is at 90 degrees compared to the way the steering wheel rotates. They need to rotate together in the same direction of rotation.
If you get what I mean. Hard to put into words.
Yep, that was the brand new switch that ate copper for dinner.
Now sent back for a refund.

It might be that the disc for the horn is slightly off-centre and the noise you hear is the extra rub when moving.

I assume that there is no noise if the wheel is not moving - that would indicate the problem is not electrical.
This goes to show that pictures are very important when trying to help diagnose issues.

Auto Transport Service
Back