• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Frying noise from steering wheel?

This goes to show that pictures are very important when trying to help diagnose issues.
Yes, sound is there when standing still, not moving the wheel.
Been busy with the house but will start looking for electrical gremlins connected to the horn. Starting with the horn relay.

Get fr wheels off the ground so that steering wheel can be turned easily. Disconnect battery & turn wheel to see if noise is still present. If it is, it is a mechanical issue, not electrical.

Does the steering wheel make the sound when the engine is running but does it also make it when engine not running but the key is on in the run position ??

Nope, only when engine is running
Maybe because not enough juice without the alt?
If you have a battery charger hook that up and turn key to run to see if you hear the noise. Should be easier to hear without the engine running

You say you have changed the steering box recently
The steering wheel only makes the noise when engine is running
No noise when key is on but engine not running

Starting to wonder if it is a vibration coming from steering box and it comes up the steering column ?
If the new steering box is a factory style box and you jack the front wheels off the ground and start the engine do the wheels want to turn one way on their own ?
Wonder if there is a little steering fluid pressure leaking past making the noise ?

Just not sure how the noise can be electric related if it does not do in when engine is off

You say you have changed the steering box recently
The steering wheel only makes the noise when engine is running
No noise when key is on but engine not running

Starting to wonder if it is a vibration coming from steering box and it comes up the steering column ?
If the new steering box is a factory style box and you jack the front wheels off the ground and start the engine do the wheels want to turn one way on their own ?
Wonder if there is a little steering fluid pressure leaking past making the noise ?

Just not sure how the noise can be electric related if it does not do in when engine is off

Yep, you and others are right about it being mechanical.

So, sometime since I posted in this thread but I did an electrical hunt in the car with voltage drops checks etc etc, disconnecting horn relays, checking alternator voltage and battery charge.
Everything checked out and my car got new wiring just some years ago.

Scratching my head I had a talk with my neighbor who is a seasoned car guy....he listened to it and described it as a mechanical sound, def coming from the steering parts (Borgeson box/Saginaw pump)

So, time to remove the pump belt and check.

Auto Transport Service
Back