• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel consumption...no not a tree hugger, just FMI

Ok, i went through my recently received Holley super tune book.
These air bleeds are the vertical holes in the metering block, these are also not replaceable on my carb.
As i suspect this carb to be played with a lot for strip purpose, i wonder if it would be a good choice to go for a new Holley 770 CFM Street Avenger.
This also benefits me for having an electric choke and vacuum secondary's instead of the mech. double pumper i am driving with now.
As this will be set near enough to run good, and knowing what i have (instead of probably modified components as i am having now) it should be more easy to tune in for street driving.

I have pulled all plugs on the passenger side bank.
There are some differences in appearance, which might be caused by the intake manifold difference??
I have an Edelbrock Performer RPM manifold.
Some look very rich, some appear clean with some signs that the ignition timing setting is ok.
Pictures off all 4 cylinders plugs on passenger side bank.
8 6
4 2

IMG_2316.jpg IMG_2318.jpg IMG_2321.jpg IMG_2325.jpg

I had ordered a Holley Street Avenger 770 carb. (List# 0-80770)
Today i received it and hopefully this week i will find some time to install it.
It's a vacuum secondary with electric choke, hopefully that will already supply some comfort.
Curious to see if my AFR readings will improve.
Last weekend i took it out for a weekend break and have driven it around 200 miles, mostly at 60-70 mph.
When i returned home i pulled some plugs and found them black with soot, but at least they were found dry.
I think it has done some good driving some longer distance with higher speeds and probably cleaned up quite some deposits from the internals.
Thing i did notice that it was running quite warm, maybe 92-94 deg C coolant water temperature, ambient temp was around 25 deg C i guess.
Not sure if this is something to worry about.
I never opened up to cooling water pump, would it be worth to install a high volume pump?
Did read some story's this could work out even worse as well as the high volume pump lets the coolant flow too fast through the radiator where there is not enough time to dispose of the heat?
Any suggestions?

Auto Transport Service
Back