• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel fill troubles

buhbuhburt

Local time
10:51 AM
Reaction score
I have a 1967 satellite and my neighbor has a 1967 GTX. We both have the same problem trying to fill the car with gas. They both back up and gas runs down the quarter and the tank still isnt filled. . The fill tube inside on both is identical. They both look like someone squeezed them with a pair of channel locks. We have tried turning the gas nozzle different ways to no avail. Anyone else have this problem and a possible solution. It looks like when the fill neck goes in, it doesnt start to turn down soon enough. I figure its an engineer screwup but who knows.

This is a reality with these. I just fill it, like, medium speed on the nozzle and it will fill. But if you fill it full, the damn thing leaks taking corners, all down the 1/4 panel.

When I was a teen, working at gas stations, I hated the people who had cars with the filler behind the license plate and were "in a hurry". On a few occasions I got the back splash.

Nothing new with 66/67 can't fill full blast half bl-***-t.:lol:Positioning of nozzle helps.

This is a common problem on these cars. I insert the nozzle about 1/2-3/4 of the way and slowly pull the trigger about 1/2 way or so to let it fill slowly. I also keep heavy duty paper towels - Scott's blue shop towels - in my car. I fold a couple and place them under the nozzle near the filler to catch whatever burps out. This usually keeps most of it off the side of the car.

I also make sure not to overfill the tank if I'm not going to drive a lot right away because the gas expands as it warms and backs up in the filler neck then leaks out around the cap.

I have a 1967 satellite and my neighbor has a 1967 GTX. We both have the same problem trying to fill the car with gas. They both back up and gas runs down the quarter and the tank still isnt filled. . The fill tube inside on both is identical. They both look like someone squeezed them with a pair of channel locks. We have tried turning the gas nozzle different ways to no avail. Anyone else have this problem and a possible solution. It looks like when the fill neck goes in, it doesnt start to turn down soon enough. I figure its an engineer screwup but who knows.
Yep...same thing on mine. If you REALLY want it FULL, be prepared to take 15 minutes 'dribbling' it in after the pump does its first automatic shutdown.
Stupid, but true.

keep a funnel and a few clean rags to keep the paint pretty

go half trigger and keep your eyes looking down the funnel

a few rounds of practice helps

6A524A4E-2BB7-4A8A-910F-7EA7A0155324.jpeg

watermelon

wonder if driving the left rear up on a small block when refueling might help get the air to the vent tube!

My car will burp fuel every so often.
But not every time I fill it....which is a lot.

I just go slower after the 1st 8 to 10 gallons is in.

I aim the nozzle towards the rear bumper a bit.
Agree with knowing how many gallons it's going to take and going really slow for the last couple gallons.
I generally don't fill mine I usually go maybe 10 gallons at a time.
The only exception would be going to Carlisle.

Auto Transport Service
Back