• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel gauge goes all over the place. 1970 Dodge Charger

Dominic Torreto

Local time
5:54 PM
Reaction score
FUEL gauge will litterly show its over half a tank and or 3/4.After a little bit of time it shows way under Empty? Brand new sending unit and I already checked wires. Anybody ever had this happen? Could this be the IVR in dash being out?

Last edited:
What car, fuel tank new or old, sending unit new or old? Is it grounded properly?

Model and year? Some have a CVR, Constant Voltage Regulator. They are a points contact and can go bad

Mine usually goes hard to the left under full acceleration. :lol:

Many things to check.....please supply more info on exactly what gauge, car, year, tank.....etc pictures are worth a thousand words.

1704226870533.jpeg

This gauge will litterly show its ober half a tank and or 3/4 after a little bit of time it shows way under Empty? Brand new sebding ubit and I already checked wires. Anybody ever had this happen? Could this be the IVR in dash being out?
Yes - but usually the temperature gauge will also act the same way.

Man - you’re too fast on the draw. I can’t hit edit to fix my fat fingered typo/post reply that fast.

....and have a look at the blue wire on the inside of the trunk floor.....you might have something rolling around and damaging the wire.

Or the jack being cinched down might have pinched the wire.

Check the ground strap between the tank sender and the fuel line underneath the car - the strap may be loose, or covered in underseal or some other debris. They get weak and fall off sometimes.
Thats not a bad idea man. I will definitely look into that one because I did paint the fuel tank. Is it possible to add a ground wire? Dont

Thats not a bad idea man. I will definitely look into that one because I did paint the fuel tank. Is it possible to add a ground wire? Dont
Yes, you can add a ground wire anywhere on the car......just be sure to clean both surfaces under the clamp or however you intend to attach the ground wire terminal. Clean steel both ends will give a good result - use some di-electric or silicone grease to protect afterwards once you have proven it's effectiveness.

I will definitely look into that one because I did paint the fuel tank.
Ground continuity is made between the fuel line and the sender unit base plate......not the tank as such.

Ground straps as OE connect onto the stub of solid line exiting the baseplate.

I have learned a little about CVRs recently with my Scout 800. I have to admit I didn't check the sending unit plug to my temp gauge and the tanks haven't been used in 30 years, but I found a nearly non-existent CVR for only $33 delivered, so I bought it. I'll change it out regardless as when they go bad it can be bad.

P1015458.JPG

I have learned a little about CVRs recently with my Scout 800. I have to admit I didn't check the sending unit plug to my temp gauge and the tanks haven't been used in 30 years, but I found a nearly non-existent CVR for only $33 delivered, so I bought it. I'll change it out regardless as when they go bad it can be bad.

View attachment 1584840
What was your gauge doing if I may ask?

Auto Transport Service
Back