• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel gauge help

My brain is fried from all this now, I will check this thread out in the morning. Again the help is VERY appreciated. Good night

All good brother I’m really dumb when it comes to this stuff so I appreciate any help I get. I don’t think anyone would purposely steer me wrong on this site.
There may be a few. Most of us want to help when we can and hope that we need same, someone will step up.

He is one that can help if you need with your gauges etc.
Just waiting for a response from him I don’t wanna put my cluster back in and have to pull it all apart again

Yeah, that is what my next project is after doing the seat upholstery and carpet.

Did my whole interior last winter. Bought a donor car with all white interior and just changed it to black and installed everything in my 66

F247A8DA-B086-4CA9-ADDD-358438B523CB.jpeg

2E97C2E1-EA57-4468-BE22-668FDF3E09C0.jpeg

5D04C43F-48DD-475B-A0F8-47C915A8DD0F.jpeg

651BD3FF-159D-48D1-8D79-37E0CBC99758.jpeg

9B600582-F145-468E-986A-1215DAF8E63B.jpeg

A92FFAAE-BEEB-41D2-8BEE-B77790ACD548.jpeg

641FAD8F-97CE-4D38-AD46-9268568D007F.jpeg

155102E1-4815-4016-B6F3-4DD89B51C2FB.jpeg

410043B0-874A-4CF1-AA0A-922A3F93F73F.jpeg

8A3CE30B-A568-4F95-870A-B7D8BBB0033D.jpeg

Almost done with her Putting a Holly sniper system in it now then just waiting for my brother to Paint her I’m going a dark candy purple

360900E0-AA97-46F3-8B13-A6CAC438540F.jpeg

All good brother I’m really dumb when it comes to this stuff so I appreciate any help I get. I don’t think anyone would purposely steer me wrong on this site.
Im happy to help, why dont you call me and im happy to go into more detail. It is a one wire hook up, the points have been disabled so the 12v stud is usless, the 5v stud is all your concerned with, unless you need to pick up 12v power from that stud for some reason you could actually cut it off and remove it, the other gauges have two studs the fuel gauge could as well once the ponts are removed. the Ivr3 ground to the case and the duel terminal is the 12v in. the single is the 5v out. simple as that,

Thanks skatpak im gonna do it just like your pic you posted. Appreciate your help and patience

No. You do not use a wire to the 12v stud from the dual terminal You disconnected the points. Why do you need 12v in. The gauges run off say 5 to 6 volts. Hence the new limiter. It's a one wire hook up
The limiter coverts 12v to roughly 5 volts
If you only connect the 5 volt wire there is no power source to the limiter.

The limiter coverts 12v to roughly 5 volts
If you only connect the 5 volt wire there is no power source to the limiter.
no kidding, your car is the 12v power source, your harness you un plugged from the cluster now goes to the dual terminal on the ivr3 limiter. you need 12v into the limiter and the limiter puts 5v out im not sure where the confusion is, Real time eng says this, I just got off the phone with Tom actually talking about this actual post. the limiter is a one wire hook up to the cluster, your car is the 12v source.

12v in to the new limiter, 5v out to the 3 gauges.
yes correct, if oyu hook up your cars harness as usual you will have 5v to the 2 other gauges, limiter..... 12v in from car same as original, 5v out to middle 5v stud, same as original, 5v stud powers the other 2 gauges as original, pretend this limiter is inside the fuel gauge and not outside,

So nothing is plugged into the 12v stud? Only the Limiter?

I am so confused
I am sorry so many are chiming in that dont know what they are talking about, let me explain, ive only installed hundreds over my time, the 12v wire that went to the 12v stud on the fuel gauge now goes to the double terminal on the ive3 (12v in), single terminal on the ivr3 is 5v (out) to the middle stud (5v) it says it on the back of the housing. your harness is already wired to power the oil and temp gauges from the 5v stud on the back of the fuel gauge, all you do is hook up your harness as normal, move the 12v power in 1" to the new limiter and done., the limiter does not provide 12v, it provides 5v, running a wire from the duel terminal 12v in to the 12v in stud is stupid, you disabled the points that stud is now dead internally, you simply moved the limiter from inside the fuel gauge to the outside, still needs 12v in and still puts 5v out. your cars harness G1 on the schematic is the 12v in to the dual terminal, thats all there is to it, if you have any questions call Tom at real time engineering, listen to him not everyone that thinks they know but has not installed hundreds, go right to the builder, He will tell you the exact thing. any other problems you can call me and im happy to work you through them.

Auto Transport Service
Back