• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel gauge

Red eyed cat

Local time
2:08 AM
Reaction score
here is a good one for you.in the morning it works fine.go anywhere after it warms up,and you turn it off and go to leave it dose not work. Next day same thing all over again. Any idea???
As long as you don’t shut it off it works

You could look at the firewall plugs you may have a wonky connection there.

You could look at the firewall plugs you may have a wonky connection there.
The fuel gauge wire doesnt enter the bulk head connector. It goes down the left side under the kick panel and runs under the wire protector. Then under the back seat and into the trunk. There it goes through the trunk pan to the sender. Its a dark blue wire. There should be a 6 pin connector behind the left kick panel. Look there for issues and also make sure the ground strap is on under the car. It goes from the hard line and bridges the gap where the rubber line is and connects to the sender.

Assuming this is your 66/67 id also check the connection on the back side of the fuel gauge. And also check grounds at the cluster.

The bimetalic 5 volt voltage "regulator" is heating up and sticking on the off side of the cycle is my bet. (better than stuck on the on side)

The bimetalic 5 volt voltage "regulator" is heating up and sticking on the off side of the cycle is my bet. (better than stuck on the on side)
lol I was going to add that to my post.. But saw someone updated...

Its on the back side of the cluster.

You can see the silver colored box about in the center of this picture. Its plugged into the purple and blue board.

img_20170118_122824-jpg.jpg

RalleyeDash?... It's that silver "can" on the circuit board right beside the speedometer. You should be able to get your arm up there and pull it out to change.
beerestoration2018 864.JPG

here is a good one for you.in the morning it works fine.go anywhere after it warms up,and you turn it off and go to leave it dose not work. Next day same thing all over again. Any idea???
As long as you don’t shut it off it works

Is the temperature gauge working?

Tighten down the 4 nuts to the left of the voltage limiter. They are your fuel and temp gauges. Make sure they are snug. It may be heating up during you driving it and losing contact.

wimg_20170118_122824-jpg_LI (2).jpg

Then disregard the voltage regulator. It's a gauge, sender or wire issue.
. Thanks to all I definitely like all the help on this site ,only been a member for a couple of days and best one yet

Auto Transport Service
Back