• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel line routing: 440 with a Demon 850

Similar to the vapor separator setup the factory used huh. Adding a 1/4" return line is something I've wanted to do, since my sender has the nipple for it. Oh well maybe THIS winter..

My understanding is a return line also keeps the afr from fluctuating with temp, therefore it runs better. Basically you set everything, mixture, timing, etc, close the hood and drive it, it gets hot in traffic, afr goes haywire, runs crappy.
I'm sure that can be explained better.

My understanding is a return line also keeps the afr from fluctuating with temp, therefore it runs better. Basically you set everything, mixture, timing, etc, close the hood and drive it, it gets hot in traffic, afr goes haywire, runs crappy.
I'm sure that can be explained better.
Once my speed demon 850 double-pumper equipped 440 warms to operating temp, it stays where I have it set for the different throttle areas, and it's hot here. Mech pump with no return line. Might be more internet myths....more of that than truth out there nowadays unfortunately..

Last edited:
I'm still trying to figure a way to get this to work.
Adding A/C and heater hoses really makes this area cramped. I really would like to find a Y type fitting and then make my own lines to the carburetor. I looked at the Summit Racing site and I did find a couple but I also need a port for the fuel pressure gauge. After looking at 20 pages, I gave up. I do have a Speed Shop in Sacramento that I may check with tomorrow. Ideally, I'd place the Y in between the fuel bowls so I'd have room for a filter between the distributor and the Y.
I suppose that I could put the filter down near the regulator but I like seeing fuel in the filter. At rest, the gauge reads zero but the filter lets me know I have fuel in the line.

I fought this same battle, finally found a brass Y, but no place for a gauge.
The brass worked, but could easily leak if I took it apart and put back together, for whatever reason.

Tried to get creative, I had a dual inlet line with gauge port, but rubber hose in the middle, bought a new solid one but it leaked, bought another new solid one with a gauge port T but it was aluminum and leaked.
Looked for a speed shop, eventually found a race guy who gave me fittings.
Maybe just bad luck.

Once I went to AN fittings and ptfe, no more bs, went together super easy, comes apart and back together easy, fuel filter has AN fittings, everything is perfect.
Btw, my fuel filter is aluminum, so can't see gas in it, I used to like to see the gas too, but I never see it 100% of the time when in the driver's seat and if gas isn't in the carb it's easy to pop off the filter.

For the hard lines I had to buy line, a bender, flare tool kit, fittings, hose, filter, clamps, etc.

For AN I bought line, fittings, filter, line cutter.

Cost was probably close, but the AN saved time, went together once, and prevents bs in the future.

I fought this same battle, finally found a brass Y, but no place for a gauge.
The brass worked, but could easily leak if I took it apart and put back together, for whatever reason.

Tried to get creative, I had a dual inlet line with gauge port, but rubber hose in the middle, bought a new solid one but it leaked, bought another new solid one with a gauge port T but it was aluminum and leaked.
Looked for a speed shop, eventually found a race guy who gave me fittings.
Maybe just bad luck.

Once I went to AN fittings and ptfe, no more bs, went together super easy, comes apart and back together easy, fuel filter has AN fittings, everything is perfect.
Btw, my fuel filter is aluminum, so can't see gas in it, I used to like to see the gas too, but I never see it 100% of the time when in the driver's seat and if gas isn't in the carb it's easy to pop off the filter.

For the hard lines I had to buy line, a bender, flare tool kit, fittings, hose, filter, clamps, etc.

For AN I bought line, fittings, filter, line cutter.

Cost was probably close, but the AN saved time, went together once, and prevents bs in the future.
Hey kern dog, I went to jegs web site and found a hand full of side outlet fittings for mounting a fuel gauge that you could put inline. Maybe put fitting in one side of y block, mount gauge, run lines to carb, cut in filter, presto-chango your all done. Well, maybe not that easy. But there are a lot of fitting options on jegs site. I hope it all works out for you!

Thanks guys...I figured out a way.
Someone mentioned putting the filter near the pump. I did something similar. The regulator is frame mounted so I used a 2 inch hose, the fuel filter, another 2 inch hose, then the solid line bent to snake across the alternator, around the distributor and up to the existing dual feed line. I used aluminum tubing....I have steel lines here but the aluminum is so much easier to form the shape!
Are there any drawbacks to using aluminum fuel line?

Fuel line 5.jpg
Fuel line 6.jpg

Only thing I see, Kern Dog, with it routed at the outside of the alternator, it's mighty close to the exhaust manifold. But, that's your call.
Can't say on the aluminum tubing. Steel is real easy to shape, with the proper bender.

Auto Transport Service
Back