• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel pump connections

Ron Long

Local time
9:09 AM
Reaction score
I just bought a new Edelbrock 1723 to replace my 20 year old Carter fuel pump... The hose barbs are 3/8 in and out... I bought the Moroso fittings 65380 that are 3/8 in and out.. I can only get three turns in and they are very tight... Are the fittings tapered? Are they supposed to be that tight? The Carter go in all the way with sealant.. Is it time to chase the threads on the pump? Are there other barb fittings that fit better? By the way,, most people buy way more fuel pump than they need.. A 500hp motor only needs 42gpm pump and mine is 120.. Check Summit site.. At 7psi it is almost free flow.

Sounds like you are trying to put a NPT male into a female inverted flare. They are not compatible.

I looked that pump up it is 3/8 NPT.

I just bought a new Edelbrock 1723 to replace my 20 year old Carter fuel pump... The hose barbs are 3/8 in and out... I bought the Moroso fittings 65380 that are 3/8 in and out.. I can only get three turns in and they are very tight... Are the fittings tapered? Are they supposed to be that tight? The Carter go in all the way with sealant.. Is it time to chase the threads on the pump? Are there other barb fittings that fit better? By the way,, most people buy way more fuel pump than they need.. A 500hp motor only needs 42gpm pump and mine is 120.. Check Summit site.. At 7psi it is almost free flow.

[/URL]
I just looked at the fittings they are also 3/8 NPT. So they should work. Are you using tape or liquid sealant? Tape will increase the taper making it wedge quicker.

If it's one of those chrome plated pumps the plating can fill the threads some.MO

I purchased the edelbrock pump also and returned it due to the same threading problem and when I received the new one I tapped the threads and that solved my problem.

I purchased the edelbrock pump also and returned it due to the same threading problem and when I received the new one I tapped the threads and that solved my problem.
Most likely more CCJ Cheap Chinese Junk. Problem is running a tap to clean and size the hole might allow chips to enter the pump.

Most likely more CCJ Cheap Chinese Junk. Problem is running a tap to clean and size the hole might allow chips to enter the pump.
The replacement pump may have been produced with DRY SEAL PIPE THREADS. The dry seal thread design has a different profile than the standard NPT thread profile.
Dryseal pipe threads are based on the USA (American) pipe thread, however, they differ from the USA (American) pipe thread in that they are designed to seal pressure-tight joints without the necessity of using sealing compounds.
Retapping the fitting destroys the dry seal thread design and reverts to the NPT profile. Just a thought....
BOB RENTON

The replacement pump may have been produced with DRY SEAL PIPE THREADS. The dry seal thread design has a different profile than the standard NPT thread profile.
Dryseal pipe threads are based on the USA (American) pipe thread, however, they differ from the USA (American) pipe thread in that they are designed to seal pressure-tight joints without the necessity of using sealing compounds.
Retapping the fitting destroys the dry seal thread design and reverts to the NPT profile. Just a thought....
BOB RENTON
I went to O'Reilly auto parts, bought two NPT 3/8 nipples... They fit much better... The Moroso ones seemed to have a taper. I could only get one turn before it made full contact and about 1/2 turn past that before I was afraid to push it...

I just looked at the fittings they are also 3/8 NPT. So they should work. Are you using tape or liquid sealant? Tape will increase the taper making it wedge quicker.
I am not using either... I have never had a leak, and never used sealant... However this engine was assembled in 2001. So.. I have been sleeping the last 20 years.

The GTX :
1680998892644.png

Auto Transport Service
Back