• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel Pump Leak

As moparedtn noted...that this pump I seem to have is a Carter “hemi” fuel pump...would this have been found on a 440 as from the factory or not?
I don't remember seeing stock 440-4V cars coming with that style pump originally. If you're using a multi-carb setup like a Hemi, 6pack, or dual quads it would definitely be beneficial with the extra gph, but speaking from past experience the one piece pump is sufficient for an oem afb or avs.

No sealant on the fuel lines. They are inverted flare fittings, seal on the flare. Pull it apart and check to see if the flare is split from over tightening. If they are, new line is easy enough to bend and double flare.

The threaded fitting, I have used Indian Head Gasket on them. Gaskasinch will work too. Don't use teflon tape.

Last edited:
So for a replacement for my 68 440HP motor...the parts book indicates that the Chrysler part number is 3004 107. At various outlets I see this part number referring to 2 different pump models; the carter 3672 and carter 4434.

What is the consensus on which one to go with? Are there differences in the two pumps? I see in Moparnations build he used a 4434 pump. But that I think was a 69...and there seems to be less confusion there.

thoughts?

So for a replacement for my 68 440HP motor...the parts book indicates that the Chrysler part number is 3004 107. At various outlets I see this part number referring to 2 different pump models; the carter 3672 and carter 4434.

What is the consensus on which one to go with? Are there differences in the two pumps? I see in Moparnations build he used a 4434 pump. But that I think was a 69...and there seems to be less confusion there.

thoughts?
From what I've found so far the 4434 pump is 8psi and the 3672 is a 6.5psi. I'm using the 3672 in mine and it seems to work fine.

The FSM actually had it listed right in there the pump model to use. I guess i should of looked there first. Model MS-4434S.

Now to find one.

The FSM actually had it listed right in there the pump model to use. I guess i should of looked there first. Model MS-4434S.

Now to find one.
Use caution when selecting the pump you want. The recommended pressure is between 6 to 7.5psi for the 440hp. If the 4434 puts out a minimum of 8psi its possible there could be flooding issues if the needle can't properly seat. The 3672 seems to be more in line with the factory pressure range if that's what you're after.

That is not a hemi pump and it looks more like the AC style pump, though carter may have made it. Does it have a single screw under bottom cover?
You need to inspect pump inlet. Should be pipe thread fitting. Sometimes regular fitting used so it will leak. Also, sometimes folks over tighten pipe fitting and the housing cracks, can be hairline causing leak. Carter pump will have carter and copy right symbols. AC same. Can look at flange for actual model.

Non rebuildable pumps are different then the rebuildable types as far as fitting and such. So what came from the factory and factory number, is much different that an over the counter replacement from AC or Airtek etc... Plus carter had the high performance rebuildable types.

The bubbling at the flange, that is not gas is it?? Normally a vent on backside of diaphragm so that fuel would go to atmosphere not block, but if plugged with dirt and you had a ruptured diaphragm, you might get gas up there.

Last edited:
Dragon Slayer...

thx for you reply.

there was bubbling at the flange...but pretty sure it was due to the fact I sprayed it down to clean with some varsol.

i still have not really identified the pump yet. But yes...there is a single screw at the bottom of the pump in the middle.

AC or Airtex type rebuildable pump. I think you said it works fine other than leak, so my recommendation is getting gasket on the flange, or some engine silicone to get a good seal. Then remove fitting and inspect the threaded female inlet to ensure not a cracked housing, then type of inlet fitting. Should be a pipe type. Imho you can use a plug sealant that Permatex makes to ensure a good seal if the fitting is correct and the pump not cracked. Install and tighten, just be careful not to over do it. Deeper a pipe fitting goes the wider it is, and that is when a housing especially an older one can crack. Everything may actually be good, and the plug was just too loose.

Auto Transport Service
Back