• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel pump pushrod

I have tried a borescope, but the picture is not clear enough.

I have been using electric fuel pumps since the early 80s on most of my engines. The one on my 78 Chevy P/U came in extra handy when I got a load of watered gas at a local gas station. I was able in a couple of minutes to empty the tank of fowl crap and get reimbursed from the station for more than my costs. After confronting them, they admitted knowing the water was there but, still sold the fuel!
But, I digress, always had good luck with electric fuel pumps. I like the newer rotary pumps for their lack of noise.
Mike

I have been using electric fuel pumps since the early 80s on most of my engines. The one on my 78 Chevy P/U came in extra handy when I got a load of watered gas at a local gas station. I was able in a couple of minutes to empty the tank of fowl crap and get reimbursed from the station for more than my costs. After confronting them, they admitted knowing the water was there but, still sold the fuel!
But, I digress, always had good luck with electric fuel pumps. I like the newer rotary pumps for their lack of noise.
Mike
My buddy says the same thing, just permanently wire the electric pump and forget the mechanical pump. This is the pump assembly I have.

IMG_20230326_150827706.jpg

1991 we left for a TDC meet in Aurora Missouri with our 67 L auto, pulling a crank up camper trailer. Our son, nephew andfriend following in his nicely done. PP1 white white hat 383.
The L car had been kind of done and we hadn’t had it long. Had a fuel smell and would stumble under hard acceleration. My wife described it at the time as a gas smelling go cart that could pass almost anything.
On the way home in Kansas 4 lane State highway I passed some guy pulling a trailer slowly, our son followed. Afterwards you would think Jackie Gleason was on duty. Guess the speed limit was 55, I was doing about 65. He put his lights on, pulled up beside us with his stogy in his mouth and flashed 55 with his hand and carried on. Sorry I digressed.
Lincoln Nebraska, we got a different distributor from a State Highway pursuit car. Thought it was electrical.
Got home, and our son took it to the track found out there was a crack in intake line right by the fuel pump changed that and helped some.
Still had problems. Put the car on jack stands in the back yard, after a friend said he had the same symptoms it was the fuel pump rod. Pulled the fuel pump, took the nut off and dropped into the pan. Managed to drop the pan. Get in and get the nut off the top of the oil pickup, without lifting the engine. Can’t possibly do that now. I always check the rod lengths when Worked great after that, but traded that 74 engine for a 67. I have a few used full length factory rods.
I am NOT a mechanic, but my guess is you should be able to see lobe from the fuel pump opening.

I have a cam out in the shed that had 2 fuel pump push rods ate up on and the cam pushrod lobe was fine. No problems with the cam. The problem was the pushrod. 2 of them and one was Comp and the other I believe was Hughes.

Around 25 years ago I wiped out the fuel pump eccentric on a cam with the fuel push rod. Of course, cams are not that easy to source here, so I had it rebuilt, and a new good quality push rod installed. Never had to touch it again.

It pays to put a new push rod in with a new cam.....don't ask me why. :rolleyes:

Not being able to get a good look at the lobe on the cam, I employed this non-scientific method to see if it was worn. I bought a piece of wooden dowel approximately the same diameter as the pushrod and bumped the starter over while marking the high and low points. It measured roughly 1/4 inch of movement. I then measured the lobe on my old stock camshaft, and got the same 1/4 inch difference, so I think the lobe is fine. Regardless, I decided to just run the electric pump so I stuck the old fuel pump back in without a pushrod to plug the hole.

IMG_20230807_104020660.jpg

IMG_20230807_110634199_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230807_111959515_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230807_112150701_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230807_110829758.jpg

I also dumped the oil and cut open the oil filter to check for metal. I didn't see anything much. By the way, those who say Fram filters are no good, haven't used an HP1

IMG_20230807_114358958.jpg

IMG_20230807_114434117.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back