• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel pump pushrod

qkcuda

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:18 PM
Reaction score
I found the issue that caused me to lose fuel pressure on the way to Carlisle. The fuel pump pushrod, which was the original one from the 361, had worn down about 1/4 inch. The fuel pump on the car was a stock style Carter, not a HP one. I bought a new fuel pump pushrod from Mancini's at Carlisle, and was assured that the pushrods they sell now do not have wear issues anymore. I also bought a new stock type Carter pump. I used my bore scope to try and check the cam lobe, but other than seeing a wear pattern, I couldn't tell if it was excessively worn.

IMG_20230723_154100025_HDR.jpg

My question is, what if anything can I do to avoid the same problem? Also are the pushrods the same on both ends? I noticed the new Mancini pushrod has two tiny dots on one end.

How many miles were on the original rod? Do you use oil with a sufficient amount of zinc?

Yikes!
The worst part is that metal is likely in the pan.
I agree that you want zinc in the oil.
I use the Lucas hot rod oil.
Don't know if it's "the best".
But I haven't had any issues.

The odometer has 74,000 miles on it, which appears to be correct given the condition of the car and engine. The oil has zinc with an additive as well.

It's possible that the previous owner used conventional oil off the shelf.
But to some extent it doesn't really matter now.

The problem is that I don't recall any wear on the pushrod when I changed the cam about two years ago.

They are the same on both ends so it can go in either way. I am amazed to see an original worn that much. Wondering if the metal on modern cams are causing this or just ground wrong??? What cam? I had one go south on a Comp 268.

The cam is an old stock Wolverine Blue Racer, same as a Melling or an Edelbrock Performer.

I sure hope Mancini is correct about having the hardness problem resolved. Seems like every couple of years someone else is claiming the same thing, but that hasn't been the case yet.

I would think that is excessive wear with 125,000 miles on factory fuel pump rod

They are the same on both ends so it can go in either way. I am amazed to see an original worn that much. Wondering if the metal on modern cams are causing this or just ground wrong??? What cam? I had one go south on a Comp 268.

Did you check the cam? Was only the pushrod worn?

I did not, replaced the push rod with a NOS one and sold the car a few months late. Was my first experience with a push rod failure. If it happened to me I would definitely take a good look at it.

Imagine if someone made a pushrod with a roller wheel on the end that makes contact with the cam lobe!

I found the issue that caused me to lose fuel pressure on the way to Carlisle. The fuel pump pushrod, which was the original one from the 361, had worn down about 1/4 inch. The fuel pump on the car was a stock style Carter, not a HP one. I bought a new fuel pump pushrod from Mancini's at Carlisle, and was assured that the pushrods they sell now do not have wear issues anymore. I also bought a new stock type Carter pump. I used my bore scope to try and check the cam lobe, but other than seeing a wear pattern, I couldn't tell if it was excessively worn.

View attachment 1498817
Yep, you'll have that.

Oh, I agree. The wheel would have to be SO small too. I was just spitballin' anyway...

Does anyone know if you can see the fuel pump lobe if you remove the distributor and oil pump drive?

If you get a boroscope phone attachment you could look in through the pushrod hole.

Auto Transport Service
Back