• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel pump threads (and regulator too)

68 Sport Satellite

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:39 PM
Reaction score
What is the consensus on a leak free fitting type for both a Carter mechanical fuel pump as well as an Aeromotive fuel pressure regulator? The websites call out NPT threads and that is what I used after at first using straight threads (not AN) which leaked like crazy. The NPT threads are tapered and seal very well with a little pipe dope.

The reason I'm asking now is because I've seen more than one thread where some are calling out the use of an O-ring with the straight threads to prevent fuel leaks. Why not just use NPT threads as specified for the parts?

There's a difference in these fittings. Aeromotive makes many different regulators. The regulator bodies are machined differently and specify by model whether the fittings needed are NTP or AN- O ring. Use what they say. You can damage the threads by forcing an NTP fitting into an AN o-ring thread. If you use an AN o-ring in an NTP thread it will not seal because the body is not cut to accept and seal the o-ring.

Auto Transport Service
Back