• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel sending unit for a 1972 wagon

willem

Local time
6:17 PM
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a Dodge Coronet Wagon from the year 1972, and the fuel sending unit needs replacement. The problem is, i can't find a replacement item on the internet. The one i pulled out of the car is shown the picures in this message...

Does anyone know what fuel sending unit i need for this car?

regards. Willem

20190223_155513.jpg 20190223_155554.jpg 20190223_155531.jpg

The problem is, i can't find a replacement item on the internet.
Is the one in your hand bad, not working?

Honestly, the one you have, 'looks' pretty dang good! Meaning, the section that goes inside the tank, is rust free, fairly clean overall. Even if you did find an aftermarket sender online, probably wouldn't be near as good.
Plan on replacing the filter. The rest of the sender unit can be easily tested, to find out why it's not working...many times can be fixed. There's plenty of posts on this site, that will tell you how.
Only things that can make it not repairable, are the windings in the housing are broken, or the sweep arm, that moves across those windings, maybe wore out.

Honestly, the one you have, 'looks' pretty dang good! Meaning, the section that goes inside the tank, is rust free, fairly clean overall. Even if you did find an aftermarket sender online, probably wouldn't be near as good.
Plan on replacing the filter. The rest of the sender unit can be easily tested, to find out why it's not working...many times can be fixed. There's plenty of posts on this site, that will tell you how.
Only things that can make it not repairable, are the windings in the housing are broken, or the sweep arm, that moves across those windings, maybe wore out.
Well it's not completely broken, but the values are a little bit off of what they should be

I would check all the grounds both the sending unit and gauge grounds. I found the gauge ground was poor on my 64 wagon and after cleaning the gauge ground it was more accurate.

Well it's not completely broken, but the values are a little bit off of what they should be
Geez...stick with what you have in my opinion. Aftermarket senders are WAY off in my experience

Understand. I combined two sender parts, to get one working on my 64.
You want to be careful with the windings, on the rheostat, since they make or break it. If it's only the 'values' off a little, and the windings, and the contact sweep arm are in good shape, should work.
As mentioned, look over all the contact surfaces, test 'em, and check the values a handful of times, to be accurate. High/low values can be adjusted by the tab stops. Good readings, good ground, and good power feed (from the gauge) is all it took, to make mine right...full to empty.
Yours, as clean as it is, a little TLC, slap it once or twice, bet it will work. Make sure your wiring is good!

Or, send it out, and get it repaired. Run from the aftermarket junk.

Yup, these things are super basic. If I only knew how to weld i would tac-weld the flimsy little sweeper "L" that fell off it's float arm mounting. Was thinking about JBwelding it but I know nothing can survive soaking in gasoline that long.

Send it out to be repaired. I have had good luck with the repaired senders.

Auto Transport Service
Back