• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel Sending Unit

al383

Local time
3:57 PM
Reaction score
Now that I broke the tabs off my sending unit where can I get one I won't have to calibrate??????????????

Like I said I have bought more than a few off ebay and have never had any of them read wrong....mind you I check them before I install them.
AL

Don't buy a Spectra. I recently put one in my Charger because it was supposed to be "the best". It's not by a long shot. I can't even get it close by bending the arm.

I know whaat you mean I'm having the same problem

Ditto regarding Spectra. Out of the box, mine would not register more than half a tank when full. I purchased because they were supposed to be "the best"; sorely disappointed.

Like I said I have bought more than a few off ebay and have never had any of them read wrong....mind you I check them before I install them.
AL

Do you happen to remember specifically which ones on ebay worked for you?

I don't know what to take pics of except maybe the gauge at full and empty.

I wouldn't mind seeing pics. with an ohm meter hooked up when the arm is at 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4. Empty should be around 73 ohms, and full around 10 ohms. The problem with the new senders is that they are linear whereas the originals were not.

Pics

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

I bought mine from Layson's. Works fine, even if it's made 'over there'. Layson's is a vendor here (look to your right, above). Reads right, no bending.

I have a lot to do before she is ready for fuel. The motor needs put together and painted then installed, tranny needs drained, new neutral safety switch, and painted, rear brakes need put on, axle bearings pressed on, and on and on.

al383: You're welcome... I don't give a hoot where you end up buying a sending unit but please have the courtesy to thank those of us that took the time to try and help you.

No where... unless you are lucky they all have to be bent a little to a little more depending on the tank.... same sender fits many tanks.

Cars with a factory single exaust have tanks that were bigger capacity than factory dual exaust and the wagons had a different capacity... even though the gauge reads full to empty accurately doesn't mean the tank is... you fell into the got lucky category or you have 5 gallons at empty.. which is not a bad thing. But generally you should check and adjust the float per specific application.

Cars with a factory single exaust have tanks that were bigger capacity than factory dual exaust and the wagons had a different capacity... even though the gauge reads full to empty accurately doesn't mean the tank is... you fell into the got lucky category or you have 5 gallons at empty.. which is not a bad thing. But generally you should check and adjust the float per specific application.

Sorry, sleepar. I checked the sender against the depth of the tank. It was accurate both empty and full. The ohm reading was correct on both ends and works fine with my Autometer gauge.

Sorry, sleepar. I checked the sender against the depth of the tank. It was accurate both empty and full. The ohm reading was correct on both ends and works fine with my Autometer gauge.
Correct but not everyone has that same tank...
And not all the gauges factory or aftermarket are calibrated the same.... and an old voltage limiter can throw it off also... you are right just there is more to it.

Auto Transport Service
Back