• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel vapor recovery tank

SureGrip

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:24 PM
Reaction score
I know this has been talked about, but my search skills suck.

I need to find if anyone makes the vapor 'tank' with the 4 nipples (right in front of the tank itself) on it for April-'72 and up.

I can't seem to find any info on it anywhere, and I know it was talked about on this board. One member showed a great picture of his (blue/purple 1972 Charger I believe...can't remember the member's name :eek: )

I'm really just curious if any repos them or not. A search on the intardweb has returned zilch aside from the vapor separator that mounts in the engine bay.

Also, I've seen a lot of opinions on fuel lines...I'm going with the 3/8 and 1/4 return pair.

Any supplier to avoid? I'm thinking of ordering from Classic Industries for the lines and filler neck grommet. Everything else (Tank, sending unit, straps, bolts, etc) will come from Rock Auto (Spectra tank and sending unit).

Thanks,

-Brian

Hi Brian
Most 1973 Mopars had the vapor separator part # 3642105. Coronets, Satellites,Challengers, Barracudas and full size Dodge/Plymouth and Imperials. Possibly a used unit can be located. I have also not found a supplier of reproduction units, and not any luck in finding NOS parts.
Paul

I probably have a few used ones. From the desert of course. Mounts on the shock cross member.

Nope, nobody makes these, I searched everywhere. If the valve inside is still free, you can hear it if you shake it lightly, it should be good to use, however, you may want recondition it before installing to get any rust out of and off of it. I soaked mine in evapo-rust for a few days, it came out very clean. After soaking it I flushed out the inside with a solvent to get all the de-rusting solution out of it, and then blew some compressed air through it, then painted it.

Here is a before and after shot of mine.
DSC04055small.jpg
IMAG1693small.jpg

IMAG1693small.jpg DSC04055small.jpg

No reproductions, best bet is good used ones as mentioned. I bought one from MoparMarks a few years back, cleaned up fine.
DSC01429r.jpg

I appreciate it!

I have yet to pull mine from the car, so I'm not sure how good/bad it might be at the moment.

Idrivemopar, your's looks great based on what you had to start with...gives me a lot of hope.

72RoadrunnerGTX, your's is the one I was thinking about. Thank you both for the excellent photos and details.

Necro-bump.

So, now I'm dealing with my old 74 RR and going through some parts, I have come across one of the 73 units 3642105 (71/72 appears to be different all ports on same side).

Odd thing is, my 74 parts book only list that part for the E-body, no listing for B-body. Did they do away with it in 74? My car is a factory 400 car and someone has replaced the tank since I owned it in '92, but haven't crawled under it yet.

Okay, mystery solved...in '74 they moved all of that into the expansion dome of the tank.

Good news is I now have a '73 separator I don't need.

Last edited:
74 got just one nipple which runs to the canister into the engine bay... vapor separator is built into the tank, hence the hump made on them.

71 and first 72 production got the vapor separator tank into the wheel well. Gas tanks for these got the niples on the side not at the front like lates 72 and 73

Last edited:
SureGrip, a friend of mine that has a 73 Runner is looking for a separator.
PM me if you want to sell it.

Auto Transport Service
Back