• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

fuel vapor separator on 440 6pak?

and the plot thickins, thanks for all the info guys,new to me because I never ran one, never had a problem with my 6 pak. Playing with Mopars for 32 years now and never seen one.

in the attached picture does the vapor outlet line look like it is the correct size?View attachment 585274

If it is .060 it is. The info is right here on the picture . It says Metered orifice .060 inch

334486-1f1bc6f3578417ef20a29e395bc41a50-jpg-jpg.jpg

How is it supposed to mount? And anybody think that Carter fuel pump works better than the stock fuel pump?

Thanks again, good info.

Jay

See pic in post #2.

BTW, the outlet is fuel outlet to carb. The tiny orifice you are concerned with is the return line outlet.

You have to be careful and get the pump with the correct pressure for your application unless you run a fuel regulator.

I see the pic in post #2 but its hard for me to see much there. It looks like it somehow hangs off of the fuel pump maybe but the pick of the vapor can doesn't show the hanger? When I get to Chrysler's at Carlisle I will dig into it as this is cool. Glad you guys brought this stuff up. Thanks

Thanks davek and the themechanic so now I am getting it, I am a little slow. Now I cant miss the hanger on the black vapor separator. Now I have to ask this thing is a vapor separator, where does the fuel filter go now?

BTW - I happened to look down at some old stuff in a box yesterday and looks like there sits an aftermarket one in a milk crate. I have to take a pick and see what you guys say.

Thanks davek and the themechanic so now I am getting it, I am a little slow. Now I cant miss the hanger on the black vapor separator. Now I have to ask this thing is a vapor separator, where does the fuel filter go now?

BTW - I happened to look down at some old stuff in a box yesterday and looks like there sits an aftermarket one in a milk crate. I have to take a pick and see what you guys say.
The vapor separator is also your filter.

This thread got me thinking about the spare separator I bought clear back in 2011 at MATS. I just went out and opened the box to check it out. I found that the return nipple is not restricted as it should be. It's opening measures right around .170". Now I'm wondering if it even has the filtering screen inside? What a POS. If I ever use it I'll have to solder the end then drill it to the correct size, or fab and install a restriction in the line. Paid $62.00 for it clear back then. Torques me off that manufacturers and vendors are getting away with crap like this!

This thread got me thinking about the spare separator I bought clear back in 2011 at MATS. I just went out and opened the box to check it out. I found that the return nipple is not restricted as it should be. It's opening measures right around .170". Now I'm wondering if it even has the filtering screen inside? What a POS. If I ever use it I'll have to solder the end then drill it to the correct size, or fab and install a restriction in the line. Paid $62.00 for it clear back then. Torques me off that manufacturers and vendors are getting away with crap like this!

Hey at least you picked up on it..

Bought one from Mancini and the mounting bracket broke off the canister in short order.

50 plus bucks and it's a piece of junk. I wasn't surprised as most of this reproduced gear is crap.

Bought one from Mancini and the mounting bracket broke off the canister in short order.

50 plus bucks and it's a piece of junk. I wasn't surprised as most of this reproduced gear is crap.

Better than nothing but that is about all, sometimes. Not like it used to be.

Buy one from Jeff at 521 Restorations. He puts and extra weld because of this problem. I bought one a couple of months ago from him.

I have one on my real V-CODE 70 Roadrunner. No idea if it is original or one that was installed to replace the original one. I got a replacement a couple of weeks ago from Mancini because I am replacing the existing fuel pump with the Carter M6903 high flow stock pressure mech fuel pump that Bob K "Mr 6 pak" and so many others rave about, and since the vapor separator has a screen fuel filter in it and I have NO IDEA how old the one on my car is, I figured I'd replace it while I'm working in that "area". The box on the Mancini one says it is for 440 and 426 Hemi motors, so I am assuming it is "high performance" and has the 3/8ths (V-code and 426 Hemi equipped cars had 3/8ths diameter fuel lines from the factory) fittings vs 5/16"
Pics of the one in place coming soon along with pix of the Mancini one I just bought, and I will call Mancini as well once I take pix of the one that came on my car. My 440 is a 1971 in my 70 V-code, so hard to tell what's what regarding original vs "changed out" at some point.

Auto Transport Service
Back