• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

full floating pins

hacksaw

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:19 PM
Reaction score
full floating wrist pins on cast rods with no bushing on the small end?? should i pull it back apart and have it done?? really bugging me.

I had rods worked when my 440 was built. Small end of the stock rods was reamed out to create a floating wrist pin. And an oil hole added to the top. The builder said he could bush them but it reduces the metal around the small end circumference. KB237 pistons.

The builder runs the local machine shop and builds small block Mopars. I was hesitant but went with his recommendation. Added in ARP rod bolts.
That was in early 2017 and the engine is running great. No issues.

It depends on how well you trust the builder.

Cast rods? Really? Didn’t think there was such a thing.

Bushing does weaken the small end. Seen them both ways.

Even if they did stick they'll still float in the piston.
Doug

thanks... i have never run a pin that way before. i thunk thay had bushed them when thay told me thay were full floating when i had the rods done.

full floating wrist pins on cast rods with no bushing on the small end?? should i pull it back apart and have it done?? really bugging me.
I do steel on steel in my shop with BBM, a beveled 1/8" hole on the top and I set them at about .0012 to .0013" clearance, not a problem and as stated there are no cast BBM rods. After setup it takes me maybe 5 to 10 minutes a rod to do.

Auto Transport Service
Back