• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

push rods

sevierstan

Local time
8:25 AM
Reaction score
Ok i'm sorry i don't play on this d--- comp. but i need some help . i rebuilt my 318 in my 1965 ply. running a comp cam .470" lift speedmaster alum. heads bored .030 has floating pins in pistons. my question is by thr way this is my 1st mopar always been a chevy guy but anyways after rebuild went to start it and had no compression pulled pushrods out that summit said i should use 7.550" and put old ones back in pitted of course and it fired up like no tomorrow they are 7.50" I have a little drag on checking them at TDC my question is . ?? .I don't know what my question is I'm a chevy nut but I fell in love with this d--- 65 ply sat. can anyone help??? why could'nt mopar made it simple like GM adjustable without going to rollers ,sorry don't care for them.Stan

Either make or buy a push rod length checker. Measure and get custom push rods made if needed. Knowing the correct length will determine if you can use off the shelf or will need custom push rods . With the numbers you posted I can not help but to believe you have no much pre load.

Once you know the length, I like smith brothers for the set. I have had them make several sets for me over the years and have been very satisfied with their quality.

The chevy rockers were simpler , but with a trade- off, they were shitty.
The shaft system is and always was a superior system.
Extra Care in Engineering. :moparsmiley:

thanks for all your reply's talked to Smith Bros. he said I should be good with stock pushrods at 7.50" summit says I should buy a set of checking pushrods so??

The only way to know for sure is to get a checking pushrod.
Anything else is guessing and trial and error.

The only way to know for sure is to get a checking pushrod.
Anything else is guessing and trial and error.
Ok I ordered 2 adjustable pushrods, now my question is what or how do I do this, do I take all play out up and down which is what the originals did??? as you must of figured out I don't know Mopars Thank You

Basically you’ll adjust them just like your chevy rockers. Zero lash then whatever amount of preload you desire. Remember your working on the shorter side of the 1-1.5 ratio.

And find the thread pitch of your checker.
On a basic mopar adjustable rocker it's. 041 per turn , as an example.

Basically you’ll adjust them just like your chevy rockers. Zero lash then whatever amount of preload you desire. Remember your working on the shorter side of the 1-1.5 ratio.
Ok i got my adjustable pushrods today i put them in took the up and down slack out then gave it another half turn, this is what i don't understand when i took them back out they measure 7 and 1/4 the factory ones where 7 and 1/2 this can't be right. it ran when the factory ones were in 1/4" is alot I'm at a lose here with this Mopar. Summit said i needed the 7.550" when i first tried to fire it a month ago had no compression so i put the factory ones in they are pitted but it fired right up run for good 20 min. and sounded good one of my friends said he thought it had a little lifter noise he thought thats why i'm going through this, i don't want to crap a fresh built engine. what the heck am i doing wrong??? I talked to Tony at Smith Bros. he said clean old ones up and run them he was out of stock 7.50" I don't know of this other co. Red Line supply they advertise a 7.510 don't know? Any Help is Appreciated from anyone

Can you throw up a pic of what this stuff looks like. We're making assumptions with no pictures = bad.

Topend with the valvecover off

wonder if you were on the base of the lobe when you checked the preload

wonder if you were on the base of the lobe when you checked the preload
yes #1 was on base intake and exhaust wife is trying to figure out sending pics these are speedmaster alumn. heads comp cam 20-222-3 .470 exhaust lift with the stock rocker arms witch I'm using and they are off the engine right now

Here are the pictures. Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

DSC05163.JPG

DSC05164.JPG

DSC05165.JPG

DSC05166.JPG

DSC05167.JPG

Maybe its the camera flipping the image. Do you have the correct rockers on the correct side? Im not sure you can even put them together backwards but its worth asking.

these were the rockers that was on the engine before rebuild they are as they came off engine just a bad picture they all look good no wear in cup or valve stem flats of rockers.

these were the rockers that was on the engine before rebuild they are as they came off engine just a bad picture they all look good no wear in cup or valve stem flats of rockers.
Ok i've got the old girl running again . thanks for all the help in my questions . now I have another can anyone tell tell me about brakes??? I put a booster on and duel master cyl. bleed master cyl. on bench and bleed all wheels but when start veh. pedals drops a bit to much from floor is this common on a mopar??? I have about 1/2" free travel and adjusted the travel between master cyl. and booster .020" .

Auto Transport Service
Back