• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuse block question

doninpagosa

Local time
10:38 AM
Reaction score
I have a circuit that is dead. I am trying to learn but electrical is a big time weakness for me.
I am working on my 69 Bee, and I have all four lights on bright, but no low beam lights. The turn signals don't work, but the emergency flasher is working. I checked the wire from the bulkhead to the low beams and it is good. Then I changed the dimmer switch and nothing changed.

I have a dead circuit that I need help finding the power feed for. I don't know if it's all connected or different problems that I am chasing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Don

This is the dead circuit.

20220629_102031.jpg

Forget the fuse. If you have high beam the power is there and the switch is good. You need to test at the dimmer switch for power going out low beam. If there is low beam power follow the wire to the bulkhead inside of car. If ok then check on the engine side of the bulkhead. If ok check at the left outer headlamp. You have to see something wrong. Also make sure the ground is good. Get this sorted out first then talk about the other issues. None of the other is related to the low beams not working.

It could be as simple as burned out headlights. The low beams have 2 separate filaments for low and hi beam.
And the burned out headlamps could be from overcharging. Seen it more than once.

I pulled the headlight harness off of the bulkhead and ran a jumper from the battery to the low beam wire and the lights work. Still checking.

The headlights are now working. I still can't find why the fuse circuit doesn't have power, any ideas on where to start?

If you read the writing on the block it says inst lps. Lighting for the instrument panel. Try checking for power with the lights on.
Looks like too big of a fuse in there, likely should be around a 3 amp

If you read the writing on the block it says inst lps. Lighting for the instrument panel. Try checking for power with the lights on.
Looks like too big of a fuse in there, likely should be around a 3 amp
I will check on that again. You are correct on the fuse. The old fuse was blown and I stuck that in to test continuity.

Looks like it might be 7 amp. That fuse is powered this way. Headlight switch has to be on. Tail light fuse has to be good, power then goes to the clusters dimmer switch.

Looks like it might be 7 amp. That fuse is powered this way. Headlight switch has to be on. Tail light fuse has to be good, power then goes to the clusters dimmer switch.
Now that the headlights are working, the circuit is hot again. Now to change out the fuse.
Thanks for the help!
Don

Now that the headlights are working, the circuit is hot again. Now to change out the fuse.
Thanks for the help!
Don
Actually the low beam issue had nothing to do with it. The headlamp switch is divided. Headlamps on one set of contacts and power is fed directly from the fuse link circuit to the switch. The tail lights are on another set of headlamp switch contacts. These are fused. Sounds to me like you have a old compromised harness. Your fuse holders also look like they are corroded.

Auto Transport Service
Back