• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Future of Late (75-79) B-bodies ?

A most interesting discussion. Funny how prices fluctuate over the years. I could go on and on about all the great rides I've owned in the past but I would only rig by boots to swing straight towards my *** for selling and trading them over the years.

I'll tell you one thing, and yes I'm biased, but I'll just about bet you the some of the B bodies will gain some value.

Especially the Chrysler 300 from '79. It was a unique limited edition vehicle that was the last hoorah from the 70s. Everywhere I go people walk up to me and yack about the car. Or at a bare minimum it turns heads at the gas pump and on the highway. It's comical at times.

With somewhat 5000 ever made, approximately 400 painted Rallye Red, not being hugely desirable until now, and the majority of them being trashed/crushed, etc.... I'd be shocked literally if there's even 100 of them left on the road.
Not sure where you came up with those production numbers, but most researched info numbers are 3811 produced and about 6 red ones and all those went to Canada.

Not sure where you came up with those production numbers, but most researched info numbers are 3811 produced and about 6 red ones and all those went to Canada.

I gathered this from internet research but that also may not be accurate, it's just a repeat number that has been discussed. I'd love to contact Chrysler directly to find out. If your numbers are correct it's even more rare. Still I'd be shocked if there's 100 left on the road.

I gathered this from internet research but that also may not be accurate, it's just a repeat number that has been discussed. I'd love to contact Chrysler directly to find out. If your numbers are correct it's even more rare. Still I'd be shocked if there's 100 left on the road.
Ya, the production #'s run all over the place depending what you read. One of the best historical books ever put together on the 79 300 was written by Dale Burkhardt and John Veath - copyright 1989 - "1979 Chrysler 300 Handbook". Awesome compilation of original Pt #'s and data. They claim the first 300 to roll off the line had VIN # SS29L9R 139989. Well I own 2 with VIN's 155799 and 176859, so obviously they weren't all produced consecutively.

Ya, the production #'s run all over the place depending what you read. One of the best historical books ever put together on the 79 300 was written by Dale Burkhardt and John Veath - copyright 1989 - "1979 Chrysler 300 Handbook". Awesome compilation of original Pt #'s and data. They claim the first 300 to roll off the line had VIN # SS29L9R 139989. Well I own 2 with VIN's 155799 and 176859, so obviously they weren't all produced consecutively.

Makes sense. I don't recall the number on mine but here's what I wonder, which four numbers represent which order mine was.

Is it the first four? Last four? Middle.....

Makes sense. I don't recall the number on mine but here's what I wonder, which four numbers represent which order mine was.

Is it the first four? Last four? Middle.....
S=car line ( Cordoba ), S = Price ( special), 22= body type ( 2 door B pillar hard top), L= engine (360 -4V Hi-Perf E58), 9= year ( 1979), R= assembly plant ( Windsor), 139989= sequence number ( This number should appear on the body code plate).

S=car line ( Cordoba ), S = Price ( special), 22= body type ( 2 door B pillar hard top), L= engine (360 -4V Hi-Perf E58), 9= year ( 1979), R= assembly plant ( Windsor), 139989= sequence number ( This number should appear on the body code plate).

I understand the breakdown perfectly. What I'm asking is... Out of the number of cars produced, which one is mine, what number was it? Here's my number...

Pic

IMG_20161225_163549845.jpg

I understand the breakdown perfectly. What I'm asking is... Out of the number of cars produced, which one is mine, what number was it? Here's my number...

I have absolutely no Idea, but I would venture to guess that it was one of the later 300's built, starting with a 24

Photo bucket kicked the bucket. Blah.

Last edited:
Mine has a 1-79 Date of Manufacture

IMG_20161225_223719391_zpsqfcz7vir.jpg

As a side note, I bought this car new in September 1980. Still have it.

Last edited:
Mine has a 1-79 Date of Manufacture

IMG_20161225_223719391_zpsqfcz7vir.jpg

As a side note, I bought this car new in September 1980. Still have it.
That's pretty cool! Not too uncommon for these cars as many of them set on the dealer lots a loooong time before they were sold.

Would be cool to know when the last one was made.
My sequence number is 243571. My car is zipped up in a car bag, can't access it at the moment. Based on Crizila's number, I'm guessing it was built pretty late on the 79 production run.

My sequence number is 243571. My car is zipped up in a car bag, can't access it at the moment. Based on Crizila's number, I'm guessing it was built pretty late on the 79 production run.
Does this look familiar?

A long time ago I started to collect pictures of 300's. I have info and pictures of a fair number of them. The lowest # vin I have is R149275 and the highest is R250725. There is a web site devoted to just the 79-300 but it has been largely been untouched for a long time. The Red 300 is in a private owners hands and the last time we spoke he planned on restoring it fully.

The ealiest tag I have a picture of is this one:

Auto Transport Service
Back