• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gas cap tech

62savoywagon

Local time
12:37 PM
Reaction score
Hey Gang

My '62 Savoy Wagon has no gas cap. I found a locking cap laying on the back seat (no key of course :mad:). I'm reluctant to shove it in the hole, as with no key, I wouldn't be able to get it back out!

So, does anybody out there have a photo of what a correct fuel cap (locking or not) looks like for my car?

If the cap I have is the right one, then I'll fork over the dough to get a key made.

At the moment, this is the only pic I have of the one I found...can you tell where it sat for 16 years? LOL! (in case you can't see it, it's by the seatbelt, upside down)
377723776.gif

Gas cap

I looked at caps on AutoZone & NAPA. There are caps there, however it says ( Exc. Wagon.) Part numbers 11646 and 10646.
Try taking your lock cap and compare. Advance had them also.
Good luck.

since the caps off maybe you could pull the pins out and go to the hardware store and find a blank key that fits. wouldnt need a cut with no pins and no one would know but you.

Hey Gang

My '62 Savoy Wagon has no gas cap. I found a locking cap laying on the back seat (no key of course :mad:). I'm reluctant to shove it in the hole, as with no key, I wouldn't be able to get it back out!

So, does anybody out there have a photo of what a correct fuel cap (locking or not) looks like for my car?

If the cap I have is the right one, then I'll fork over the dough to get a key made.

At the moment, this is the only pic I have of the one I found...can you tell where it sat for 16 years? LOL! (in case you can't see it, it's by the seatbelt, upside down)
377723776.gif

Rob,here is the correct cap.Also the cap from a 67/71 Dart is the same.Not sure ot the other Dart's.

PB190097.JPG

PB190098.JPG

That is the correct cap in the pic (same as a 63-66 A-body) 67-71 won't fit. Will be loose as 67-69 dart are a bit deeper where it goes into the filler tube. Will take pics tomorrow if you like. 1970 & up are different again (have 4 tabs instead of two)

Stant G27 was a replacement cap with the S-bar as the handle. Don't think they are avail~ anymore though...

63-66 Valiant, Dart or Barracuda cap is what you are looking for.

This is the cap that is on the wagon now,from 70 Dart Swinger.

PB230103.JPG

PB230105.JPG

Thanks Guys

I did find a set of keys for the gas cap that was on the back seat...it does fit, however the rubber gasket is petrified! Any way to soften it up or replace it?

Auto Transport Service
Back