• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gas Tank Fuel Sender Removal

71SandbugCharger

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:57 AM
Reaction score
Hi, I’ve removed the retaining nut, and want to remove the fuel sending unit. I’ve tried a light pounding and twisting and it won’t budge. Any tips for getting it out?
IMG_3818.jpeg

Turn the tank on end, soak with penetrating oil, let sit, and give a light prys all around with a screw driver. The gasket is probably petrified.

Just a dried up thin rubber gasket holding it in place. Gently pry on the edge of it with a small screwdriver.

Hell YES to restoring and re-using. Aftermarket ones are all Chinese CRAP!

? why did you take it out?

Was it working properly previously?

Restore it at all cost and put it back in !

? why did you take it out?

Was it working properly previously?

Restore it at all cost and put it back in !
No idea if it was working before I took it out, since the car wasn’t working when I got it (motor and transmission out), and I’m fully restoring. I want to clean the tank out of old rancid gas, and restore the whole thing. Thanks again for the help everyone! Happy Easter!

I see a few fuel sender resto outfits via google searches. Does anyone have a recommendation?

Thanks

It actually looks very clean, I would ohm test it with a meter, and if it works, just replace the float and put it back in. The ohm rate is 8-77ohms on the full sweep, or thereabouts.

Auto Transport Service
Back