• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gasoline- what's the difference between the stations?

I've had the opposite experience with Sam's/Walmart/Murphy gas.

I did a test to see if the 3-4 cents less price difference was worth the extra 3 miles round trip to get it vs the Sunoco that is closer.

My tests indicted that my nominally 27.5 MPG PT Cruiser got between .5 and 1.5 less MPG with the Murphy gas.
This.

Some stations are so bad I could feel a rough idle after one tank. I’m looking at you, pilot.

What was the percentage of ethanol in the Murphy gas vs Sunoco. As ethanol has half the heating value (energy) as gasoline, the percentage of ethanol effects MPG.....by dilution.....higher percentage of ethanol reduces the MPG. Additionally, how many tankfulls were consumed.....one or several?.....gasoline blends very slightly over time......one data point is not a true comparison......
BOB RENTON

I worked in the automotive chemical industry. One of our suppliers (who also sold gasoline additives to Shell, BP, etc) told me this:
1. All "base fuel" in your area comes from same gasoline refinery in your area
2. At the refinery, when filling up the tanker trucks, each brand of gasoline gets their own "additive package" (the stuff this guy sold) to their gasoline.
3. "Additive packages" contain things like fuel injector cleaning chemicals, upper cylinder lubricants, etc.
4. Additives cost way more than the base fuel, so more additive = more cost
5. For all brands, regular has the least additive, mid grade has more, and premium has the highest amount of additive added.
6. "Top Tier" or "Tier 1" gasoline has more (extra) additive in it.....so, 87 octane BP gasoline (top tier) may have as much additive as 93 octane "el cheapo" gasoline, or even more.
7. Least amount of additive is in el cheapo 87 octane regular. The most amount of additive is in Tier 1 premium gasoline.

I've always thought of it this way....if you run cheap gas, put some fuel system (carb or injectors) in your gas tank every couple months. If you run Tier 1 gasoline, you don't need it because it's already in your gasoline.

[/URL]
Sums it up perfectly. It's all about the additive package. Certainly there are some of examples of people having no problems with the less additives gasolines, but generally speaking top tier is going to be best. In my area there are plenty of stations that are top tier and same price or really closely price to cheaper less additive versions.

Octane is a whole different discussion. Follow manufacturer's recommendations.

Sums it up perfectly. It's all about the additive package. Certainly there are some of examples of people having no problems with the less additives gasolines, but generally speaking top tier is going to be best. In my area there are plenty of stations that are top tier and same price or really closely price to cheaper less additive versions.

Octane is a whole different discussion. Follow manufacturer's recommendations.
Does this info apply to diesel fuel too?
I'm sure the cheap diesel I buy doesn't give the best mileage, but the last two tankfuls I saved about $40 each tank by buying the cheap stuff. (70-90 cents/gallon). I'd have to take a pretty big beating on mileage to end up on the wrong side of the equation.

For me it's premium from Sam's Club which is 93 and only two choices 87 or 93. Sam's premium is usually lower than 89 at Sheets or other gas stations
offering 3 grades. My 383-4 Bbl runs just fine on 89, would probably be ok on 87, but I usually don't buy 87 unless no other choice..
Here in Western PA everyplace has ethanol added. In recent days everybody's price went up..

Last edited:
For me it's premium from Sam's Club which is 91 and only two choices 87 or 91. Sam's premium is usually lower than 89 at Sheets or other gas stations
offering 3 grades. My 383-4 Bbl runs just fine on 89, would probably be ok on 87, but I usually don't buy 87 unless no other choice..
Here in Western PA everyplace has ethanol added.
By law, California requires oxygenated gas, and ethanol is how the oil companies do that. Other than race gas, illegal on the street, there is NO non-eth in the whole state, not even for small engines.

110 Turbo Blue and 91 Rec fuel for me, nothing else will do in the Beeper.

I hauled gas and diesel for 30 years. It all came out of the same spigot.
It may have come from the same well, but during the distillation, fractionation, reformulation with the alkylation derrived additives it can become just about anything the refinery wants or needs.......from gasoline, kerosene, propane, JP4, oil, grease, bunker #6 boiler fuel and asphalt and tar........but its definitely not the same stuff that came from the ground......did you just transport product or did you work in the refinery?
BOB RENTON

It may have come from the same well, but during the distillation, fractionation, reformulation with the alkylation derrived additives it can become just about anything the refinery wants or needs.......from gasoline, kerosene, propane, JP4, oil, grease, bunker #6 boiler fuel and asphalt and tar........but its definitely not the same stuff that came from the ground......did you just transport product or did you work in the refinery?
BOB RENTON
I worked for transport companies and my last 17 years for a major oil company. I hauled from every refinery and tank farm within 100 miles of Western NY and Canada

Point I’m making is whatever concoction come out of the loading head after its refined goes can go to any location. Thats aside additive packages which are injected in during the loading process.

I run ethanol-free in everything out here - and co-op diesel for the tractor.
I've seen ethanol gas eat fuel lines and plastic fittings on carbs. Tells me all I want to know.

I worked for transport companies and my last 17 years for a major oil company. I hauled from every refinery and tank farm within 100 miles of Western NY and Canada

Point I’m making is whatever concoction come out of the loading head after its refined goes can go to any location. Thats aside additive packages which are injected in during the loading process.
As i use to work in a refinery, (XOM, VALERO) the magic happens Long B4 the product is loaded not during loading....consistency AND QC MUST BE TRACABLE and documented.....during the catalytic cracking tower, reformulation, again with the addition of alkylation derrived concentrates and solvents b4 the blend is pumped to storage prior to loading. Where ever the product is delivered to is a function of company policies, contracts and their distribution network. The magic happens at the refinery......
BOB RENTON

there is NO non-eth in the whole state, not even for small engines.
Actually, you can buy non ethanol gas but it is not sold at the pump. It is sold in cans sold at mower shops, HD tool rental yards and the like.

Actually, you can buy non ethanol gas but it is not sold at the pump. It is sold in cans sold at mower shops, HD tool rental yards and the like.
Thanks Kern, I was not aware. Most of my yard stuff plugs into an extension cord, lol.

i try to avoid ethanol in my harley’s and carbed engines especially 2stroke stuff . stuff just is a p.i.t.a. my pickup is diesel so ….as far as stations go i try to use our local stations. one claims only selling american gas , that’s a plus . another is a family outfit that is helpful in out communities.

FE8335A0-2259-41B4-9964-0A6753D8CCEC.jpeg

Last edited:
Bought diesel for my trip to california a few days ago, at Sam's bullhead, $3.29. Topped up on the way out, at a res station, at $3.99. Only $40 worth.
On my way past the Needles stations to get on I 40, diesel is $7.39. Must be one hell of an additive package in that Cali diesel!

Edit: my local socal Sam's..... $4.75 for 87, $4 59 for diesel. $5.05 for 91. How long has it been since diesel is cheaper than 87?

Last edited:
Bought diesel for my trip to california a few days ago, at Sam's bullhead, $3.29. Topped up on the way out, at a res station, at $3.99. Only $40 worth.
On my way past the Needles stations to get on I 40, diesel is $7.39. Must be one hell of an additive package in that Cali diesel!
Usually the California fuel has a maximum limitation of percentage of sulfur allowed....it may have a higher CETANE rating......(similar measure like OCTANE in gasoline).
BOB RENTON

C'mon Bob, we both know that's simple rape of the unaware, pure and simple. Literally 3 miles off the freeway in Arizona, it's $3.99. Fill a 30 gallon tank, save $100!

Auto Transport Service
Back