• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gauge Problems Resurface

JimM

Local time
8:07 PM
Reaction score
Awhile back I posted about my 1966 Coronet that had both non functioning gas and temperature gauges. Someone sent me a link to the Ehrenberg article outlining the constant voltage regulator problems found in these cars and how to fix the problem. I took the dash apart and followed the directions on how to fix the gauges. I put it together and sure enough it worked perfectly, until the other day. I started the car and it all was working correctly. I shut it off and did some cleaning on the car. When I started it back up the gas gauge did not move off empty (plenty of gas in the tank). However the temperature gauge appeared to work correctly. Soon after this the temperature gauge pegs at hot (the engine has run only for a short time.) Before I take the dash apart once again does anyone have an opinion what is happening. Thanks for your help once again. Jim M

Sounds like that new instrument voltage regulator crapped out. I've got the very same issue on my '68 D100, but my fuel and temp gauges work, then peg out, then go to where they would be without power. Tried two regulators, but end up with the same problem. I'm thinking that I might have a ground problem with the cluster. You might be in the same situation.

Auto Transport Service
Back