• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gear box help

Loulang

Local time
3:44 AM
Reaction score
I have a 66 charger with a 383 and my gearbox is leaking. The only one I can find at auto parts store doesn’t seem right (pic 1) Where the lines hook up is totally different. My gearbox (pic 2) has 2 spots to hook lines and can be adjusted by sliding that part of housing. I have tried to find a repair place near me but doesn’t seem to be any. My gearbox is leaking (pic 3) from we’re the steering shaft hooks to it. I would like to find one just like mine. I don’t wanna have to modify anything if possible. I’m also not trying to spend a $1000 bucks on one either lol. Thanks for any advice in advance

396F854A-2B5E-4810-9DFA-A8B3D83EF8AA.png

A1CA50F0-98AD-4DBA-8222-CFF926A81F21.jpeg

364D8CB7-2DF7-4657-9E71-30C3DBB5831A.jpeg

I bought one of the so called Cardone remans from Rockauto. And had issues with it form the word go.

So had my original box rebuilt locally.,,,,much much better.

You're in MI so a drive to Steer and Gear in Columbus is at least possible.

Just replace that seal. 5 minute fix now that you have it on the bench.

Bingo ! Why replace a good faucet, when only the washer is leaking ??
Yeah I think I’m going to do the rebuild kit I was wondering if there was any little ma&pa shops near me I could support

Yeah I think I’m going to do the rebuild kit I was wondering if there was any little ma&pa shops near me I could support
Do not attempt pulling the gear box apart for a stab at a rebuild. You need to know your beans and have the tools or else when done you will be worse off than when you started. Just replace the one seal and be done with it.

There is a few threads on here on how to change the seals. I just did mine, and its not too difficult. I changed the top one and the bottom one. I ordered a "kit", but only used the two seals. Just order the seal or seals , if you can figure out which ones they are. Somebody on here will probably know.

Ya I think I just need to do the top and bottom one also

Auto Transport Service
Back