• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gear quality and getting a good set-up

Well now we all want to hear from more folks who've used Nitro Gears....

I'm assuming Quick Performance is just a reseller & they don't manufacture parts?
Yeah they sell a bunch of different brands and they build custom housings. The problem is they only sell one kind of 3.73 8 3/4 Mopar gear sets. I buy Motive gears for the 9" rears I build and they all run quiet with even 4.56 sets.

I’ve heard motive aren’t bad.

Well I contacted Quick Performance today and talked to a rep and they want me to send them a picture of the gear pattern and the backlash. Luckily I actually have a video of a backlash setting now I need to take a picture of the pattern and E-mail or text them to the tech guy.
Hopefully I can at least get another gear to try again.

Gus

I don’t do differentials that aren’t in transaxles much in the last 20 to 30 years.Always had good results with US Strange,Richmond,and of course OE. The last few I’ve done with aftermarket have fought me,the last being my own 8-3/4 3.73. Had it out twice,can’t get a good pattern on both sides at the same time.Said F it and getting a different brand of gear after the engine swap.

I don’t do differentials that aren’t in transaxles much in the last 20 to 30 years.Always had good results with US Strange,Richmond,and of course OE. The last few I’ve done with aftermarket have fought me,the last being my own 8-3/4 3.73. Had it out twice,can’t get a good pattern on both sides at the same time.Said F it and getting a different brand of gear after the engine swap.
The two sets that I had the most trouble with were both 3.73's

The two sets that I had the most trouble with were both 3.73's
And yet two years ago I installed a set of US Gear 3:73's that dropped in & had a perfect pattern coast and drive... Didn't have to change a thing from the first setup... They are quiet as a church mouse... Next time I wanted gears US Gear had quit making them....:BangHead:

I used a set of Motive 3.55 gears for my 8 3/4. Car is not back together so I can't say if they are noisy. Drive side pattern was decent, coast side was a little weird.

Too bad the aftermarket can't make gears like the Ford Motorsport 8.8 gears. Talk about a drop in a go gearset. I had some shops that didn't even bother to check the pattern when they installed them!

I used a set of Motive 3.55 gears for my 8 3/4. Car is not back together so I can't say if they are noisy. Drive side pattern was decent, coast side was a little weird.

Too bad the aftermarket can't make gears like the Ford Motorsport 8.8 gears. Talk about a drop in a go gearset. I had some shops that didn't even bother to check the pattern when they installed them!
Kind of the same thing with 9" gears I have installed although most of them are going into full race cars they last and I have no complaints with noise.
The best 9" gears I have used were the old Summit brand gears made in Italy by Masario gears. I setup a 4.56 that I ran in my Savoy a 10 second stick shift car and put about 150 passes on them. I have since sold that rear to a guy with a 9 second 67 Camaro and he has put over 100 passes on the same set of gears. I only wish I could get those gears in a Dana or 8 3/4 diff.
Gus

Auto Transport Service
Back