• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gen 3 Hemi swap total cost?

sixty-niner

Local time
12:00 PM
Reaction score
Hi guys, I have always wanted a 5.7/6.1 hemi in my 69 charger, I just dont know if its worth the cost at this time in my life. I have a 400 block in it with headers , ported 906 heads, cam, 800 eddy carb, rpm performer intake, exhaust, and a rebuilt 4 speed overdrive from a 70s van. Some say if your on a budget (which I am) why not build a 451? I am half way there, I can build it, get the machine work done and any milling at my community college where I am a faculty member. I think I could get the 451 built by myself and students for under 2K where i am not sure what it would cost to get the 5.7 swap done.

What is realistic budget for a full 5.7 swap using my manual trans?
I want my car for the street and track.
Is my 2K budget realistic for my 451?

any input from those more experienced would greatly be appreciated.
thanks

Welcome to the best Mopar forum on the interwebs sixty-niner and I"m sure you'll get some helpful suggestions here as a few guys are doing/planning these late model Hemi swaps. In the meantime please head over to the welcome wagon and introduce yourself and post a few pics or your Charger. Enjoy the full experience here .. lot's of helpful folks are waiting to welcome you and share in your project.

Hi guys, I have always wanted a 5.7/6.1 hemi in my 69 charger, I just dont know if its worth the cost at this time in my life. I have a 400 block in it with headers , ported 906 heads, cam, 800 eddy carb, rpm performer intake, exhaust, and a rebuilt 4 speed overdrive from a 70s van. Some say if your on a budget (which I am) why not build a 451? I am half way there, I can build it, get the machine work done and any milling at my community college where I am a faculty member. I think I could get the 451 built by myself and students for under 2K where i am not sure what it would cost to get the 5.7 swap done.

What is realistic budget for a full 5.7 swap using my manual trans?
I want my car for the street and track.
Is my 2K budget realistic for my 451?

any input from those more experienced would greatly be appreciated.
thanks

if your on a budget i would probably stick with the 451. in my opinion. the hemi swap for me is racking up the dollar signs. but will be well worth it when done. there is a thread on here that can give you a ballpark firgue on a 5.7 swap. welcome to the site and there is bunch of good and knowledgeable people on here. i already learned alot on here. godd luck with the build.

It's not cheap, now thats outta the way, lets get to it.

Easiest way to get started. Get a harness, fsm, and take out the wires that are not needed. That is time consuming/frustrating, but can be done. Next, although expensive, wire harness from hotwireauto.com, computer, and any small block trans. Fuel system, intank pump is best but external will work, regulator and move on. Headers, TTI, 'nough said. Engine mounts, TTI.

This is just a highlite, but will get ya started. Expect this swap to run around, if your frugal, 2500-3500 bones.

3500 bones would be great! and well worth it, its the 5-7K that I am not into. its not gonna be a daily driver. But those in my mopar club that have done the swap rave about it and all say it was worth every penny, When I go to the next meeting Im gonna ask alot of questions. thanks for the answers guys

There are deals out there - You can definitely do a 5.7 swap for $3500 -- just take your time and slowly accumulate parts.

I am about 95% done putting a 5.7 in my 69 Charger still need fresh air system and exhaust, and have spent about $4,750. I did buy the harness and computer (I wanted to finish in my life time) I also had to buy the radiator along with motor mounts, headers, starter and fuel system. I shopped around and used the least expensive parts I could find Hooker headers and put electric pump in old tank made my own fuel lines also used off brand (for corvette) filter/regulator. I think I got a good deal on a used Motor $2000 out of 2008 truck with 17000 miles. Not sure how many of the parts in your car could be reused so you might do a little better but not sure. I started with no motor so I figure it was a wash over buying and building a 440. Good Luck

I know we have talked a bit through PM but for the general community I think 2500-3500 is a solid number for the average guy without spending an inordinate amount of time fabricating like I have.

My saving grace has been and is Craigslist. But for that to work you have to be pretty savvy. People want high prices at times and you have to be able to recognize junk or a poor seller to not get screwed. Ask questions and know your stuff before you start.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/pts/3729631059.html

That was the only reasonable deal on local craigslist right now but I have seen 5.7 rebuildable blocks for $400 and ready to run motors for $1k-1500 typically

Auto Transport Service
Back