• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GEN III Hemi Carbureted ???? Opinions???

HammerSlammer

Local time
1:01 AM
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience or opinions on the GEN III Hemi 6.1 carbureted setup without the computer?? I see that Indy has a 6.1 advertised, numbers look good and the prices seem ok.

Just trying to get some feedback as I'm still looking at different options for drivetrain.

To me its kind of pointless. If you are going to run a carb, just stick with the regular small or big block. To me the point of the modern engine is the computerized fuel and ignition systems.

I agree to a certain extent, however I don't think you would get the reliability from a regular small or big block that you would get from a G3, and the setup looks great, has a nice classic look, other factors include cost, big difference in a carb setup versus FI setup.

I see a few guys on the "A" body forum went this route and love the setup...........I guess it just depends what your wanting out of your build.

Mike

To me the point of the modern engine is the computerized fuel and ignition systems.

The entire architecture is a pretty hard to overlook.

Personally, I don't think there's anything 'classic' looking about them, but I may just be a stickler for details. If that's what you want, follow Rebel's advice and get something old. If you're more concerned w/ performance and efficiency, go w/ the new engine.

Haven't seen any results from Gen III Hemi's, but I know a lot of the LS crowd uses carbs w/ great success.

In retrospect it does have some things going for it. It lighter, has superior cooling system to the older engines, has a roller cam mounted higher in the block. 2 plugs per cylinder. That all counts for something. I get that figuring out all the electronics to run the fuel injection can be outside the comfort zone of some people so going with what they know and understand just makes sense.

I'm no modern engine expert, but what do you do for spark? There is no distributor. Seems like having to use some form of electronic spark timing computer might also have the necessary EFI drivers built in. I imagine the purpose of wanting the carb is to have a quick and dirty setup without the electronics, but as long as you are dealing with the ignition computer you might as well keep the EFI and take full advantage of the modern engine.

Ignition/timing curves on a computer is easy...easier than a distributor, honestly. If he ever decides to make 'upgrades', a carb is easier to work w/ than either buying aftermarket software that is expensive (and fuel maps can get complex) or taking it to the local dyno everytime he makes a change...at ~$3-400 per session.

I'm no modern engine expert, but what do you do for spark? There is no distributor. Seems like having to use some form of electronic spark timing computer might also have the necessary EFI drivers built in. I imagine the purpose of wanting the carb is to have a quick and dirty setup without the electronics, but as long as you are dealing with the ignition computer you might as well keep the EFI and take full advantage of the modern engine.

The aftermarket has front covers with provisions for a distributor.

Auto Transport Service
Back