• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Generators

I would buy a diesel unit. What makes you think the NG source will still work and be consistent in a major event?

I bought one for my welder and it runs great. I put my whole house on it too for emergencies and it has not failed. The one thing I did was change the GFCI outlet on it because they kept popping. I had read that was a common thing for them. After I put the new ones in, no worries at all.

The Generac’s are 16 weeks out, that’s what I was told at the time of the quote. Then another 3-6 weeks before he could out here to hook it up. Not gonna wait for that.

Generac, if you have commercials for your product, have some in stock to sell. You just lost a customer.

I placed them where I wanted then and purchased all the parts needed. Had a local electrician hook them up. Took about 4 hours and cost me 500 cash.

That's a cheap install price. Most companies want more than the unit price. I watched a couple videos on how to install and it looked pretty straight forward for someone with some electrical knowledge. I myself like electrical work so I'd do it myself and before turning it on, pay a electrician to double check my work.

Generac, if you have commercials for your product, have some in stock to sell. You just lost a customer.
That's not Generac...that's 2021.

I agree with LowBikeMike - I'd go diesel if I did anything. That way it could run on its own tank, or you could run a pickup tube to a furnace / fuel oil tank if needed.

Generac mobile home units are absolute junk. Hopefully their permanent stuff is better, but for me if I did anything, it would be Cummins/Onan, in a diesel, with a proper transfer switch.

I set out to buy an American generator.
Certainly, not one made in China!

I was saddened to find that they ALL have, at very least, parts from China...if not made there...even Honda.
On the advise of a friend, I ended up buying the Predator 9000.
I am happy with it, but if you buy it, I strongly recommend that you run it for an hour...dump the oil and then repeat that again.
I found metal particles in the oil on both drains. Subsequently bought the "magnetic dipstick" to be sure. Compared to my last generator, this is real quite ( but the Honda is quitter yet, but that's what $5,300 buys you). Easy enough to start, that I can send my wife out in the cold to set it up.

I have experiences with this one, if you need more info.

My bucket truck has a built in generator and I also have an Onan 6500. I have yet to use either one since I bought the Onan. I bought the Onan second hand from a fire department, they bought it filled it with gas 3 years later they tried to start and it wouldn’t. I cleaned the green jelly like substance from the fuel tank and the carburetor and it runs like a top. I enjoy knowing I have them if needed

I would buy a diesel unit. What makes you think the NG source will still work and be consistent in a major event?
Only Problem with Diesel is you have to have certified tank system in order to keep it filled. NG is also far cheaper for the time being than diesel but I get what your saying...cr8crshr/Bill:usflag::usflag::usflag:

Only Problem with Diesel is you have to have certified tank system in order to keep it filled. NG is also far cheaper for the time being than diesel but I get what your saying...cr8crshr/Bill:usflag::usflag::usflag:
See my post about using heating oil...

I was looking into Solar with a battery bank but the cost was way more than the Generac system of a NG and LPG. Far less costly than Solar and less permits required. Going with the Generac system next year as my budget for this year has been used up all ready. For my money, Generac is the only way to go...cr8crshr/Bill:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::usflag::usflag::usflag:

In Commiefornia, I pretty sure that heating oil isn’t used in homes. Possibly Commiefornia/Oregon border? On the Central Coast, we don’t have it that I’m aware of. I have at the house, electric and NG.

Still looking up generators, but once, cry once.

I was looking into gasoline generators years ago and from what i understand the cheap ones (basically everything under 4 figures) have power spikes which can damage sensitive electronic devices.
The ones powerful and constant enough have been to expensive for what i wanted to do back then.

I’m in need of a Generator due to the FACT that PG&E can’t give me reliable power in Shandon Commiefornia. Anytime there’s a “problem” with power, we lose it. I’ve lost power more times in the last year since we moved here from the Central Valley than I did the last 30 years over there. I’m f’n tired of it. Yesterday we lost power for 8 hours, noon till 8 and that early morning we lost it from 12:30am to 1:00 am.

Been looking at the Predator 9000 since it gets really good reviews. It should be able to power the entire house, or so some videos that I’ve watched, say it can. But if it can’t keep the ac going, that’s fine.

I had an electrician come out and he quoted 12k for a Generac 14k watt installed. After he left, I laughed, loudly, as the generator is 4K so that 8k in parts/labor and NO Permit, 14k with permit.

Looking for some advice on “portable” one that I can put in an enclosure, and a what parts I’ll need to hook it to my panel.
There are basically three (3) major generator manufacturers/suppliers : kohler, Onan and Generac. I TOTALLY recommend GENERAC. I installed a 22 Kw unit, that operates on Natural Gas or Propane fuel (slectable) along with the necessary transfer switch, that automatically transfers from utility supply to generator supply during a utility outage. The generator supplies 100% of the power to operate my home including the A/C, electric stove, dryer, computers, refrigerator/freezer, lighting, etc, and can do continuously for 24-7 if needed. The transfer switch supplies all generator starting battery trickle charge functions. The generators programmable controller supplies all safety and operating system functions including voltage and over current functions......the system operates seamlessly. The total installed costs of all equipment, ancillary wiring, fuel gas piping (natural gas...propane installation will require storage tank lease costs) amounted to ~ $ 7.5 k. Smaller capacity generators will cost less but incrementally but IMO size for 100%. The $$ savings are nominal. My total costs included, taxes, installation, inspections, equipment and 5 years warranty by Generac. Don't cheap out on the equipment and installation by downsizing.....you'll regret it later.
BOB RENTON

I have a 3500-watt portable Gen 'I can use' when the power goes off
has 2) 20amp GFI 120vt & 1) 30 amp 220vt plugs
I'd have to go look, it has a 4 stroke Briggs & Straton engine
fires right up almost 1st pull every time
it was from Tractor Supply, some 15+ years ago
(IIRC made in USA)
it holds like just over 2.2 gal.s of fuel & will run for about 13+ hrs
I have never run it dry 'yet'
(I do shut off the fuel & run the carb dry when/before it's stored)
I just run a couple of my HD 3x10ga. grounded OSHA appr.
extension cords inside
usually to the fridge/kitchen thru my office by the back deck,
if need be
I can run the fridge & use the 1500watt microwave, a couple of lights
TV or our old vcr or PlayStation to watch DVDs (tons of both)
or a portable heater etc. etc. etc.
I usually unplug the fridge, when I use the 1500watt microwave,
so as to not go over the 80% watt usage or tax the Micro...

if it's cold we have a wood stove, we can use to heat the house
(that's rarely used, dad has lung issues, our house is all-electric otherwise)
if it's hot as ****, we have fans

I've been 'threatening' to have/buy a more permanent/better Generator,
not have to use my portable con.-site gen.
that has way more watts (like 7500-10k) to run everything etc.,
set to auto-trigger/start 'when the power goes off',
with only slight delays, it's supposed to be only seconds
& run it off our propane,
I'd have it installed "sort of" close to that propane tank
easy routing & I already have a big tank/vessel...

edited;
I have a business card from our local Generac dealer
my dad knows the family too
(he's been living up around here, in the area for 42+ years now)
I'll get pissed off one day & finally do it...

We only use propane (we can't get natural gas up here)
& it's only for our 'water heater' now,
we don't use much propane in a year, it's a 120 cubic foot tank,
it's only filled once a year, only like maybe max 80 cu/ft a year,
but they have it on an "auto-fill signal/transponder' device
that sends a signal to their drivers when they drive by
usually by weekly on reg. delivery routes
that alerts/tells them when it's below 25% to 40%
(my dad knows the driver well, he checks in often too, small community stuff)

if it's (PG&E) out long enough,
the freezer or fridge isn't kept cold enough, it could go overnight easily
12 hrs easily, then I will fire it up, most times it to appease my dad
& most times it's off for a 4hr max spell (or less/but a lot)
or so/it's a minor inconvenience
I don't need to fire it up...

PITA yes but;
I can go without electricity for a short time (8hrs)
& no big deal, I don't like it either...
(we get them days 'way more often now' than we ever did before, since
the town of Paradise burned to the ground, they sued PG&E
from electric lines & transformers & now PG&E is covering their own asses now
& they do shut it down on a whim or for heat spells or slight wind etc.
)

We did have a 7+ day spell, a couple of winters ago
in middle of 15*-20*f winter temps
(the worst part was the water company quit pumping water too)
when snow-laden trees took out a bunch of powerlines,
that was brutal

it works for me

good luck
Wall of text -bob the builder-.jpg

Last edited:
Also to the OP - can you even buy a gasoline generator in California anymore???

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/california-law-to-ban-small-off-road-engines

I guess you can...for another 2 years, at least. Jan '24 deadline. Better get one soon!!
The problem with a gasoline generator is efficiency. I have a 12,000 watt portable gas generator. In 2008 we had an ice storm, I hooked it up and it ran the whole house with an electric water heater. 1gallon per hour, I had a 18hp yanmar 2 cylinder from an APU and swapped them out. Next ice storm it performed perfectly and I got almost 4 hours out of 1 gallon of diesel.

Just got the quote…….

$11750.00

Just got the quote…….

$11750.00

IOM....buying a whole house generator system, is a lot like buying a new car or truck....the price is negotiable. If, you're considering Generac equipment, go to their web site to see if there are any promotional offers or rebates. Try buying the equipment yourself and contract the installation and ancillary parts at your local home center...Lowe's or HomeDepot or ??. Try negotiating with the person you got the quote from....start at $ 9000 to see if tge guy comes off his number. I realize that California has higher costs but the $12k number seems out of line....ask the guy what his margin is.....be specific as to how much you'll pay....or try another supplier. Remember....you'll never get more than you ask for.....
BOB RENTON

Auto Transport Service
Back