• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Genie garage door openers....piss poor quality and service.

yella71

Local time
12:59 PM
Reaction score
I bought a Genie screw drive opener for my house a few years ago and have not had great luck with it. first circuit board died due to a power surge so a replacement was found along with a recall notice that I never got that the boards were no good and an up grade as available. at a cost. Right. so I got one in 2019, then 3 weeks ago that went bad, order another board low and behold back ordered, then after a few Emails all of a sudden there is one being shipped. It arives and I install it but It will not connect to any of the wireless controls, call the tec line , 2and a half hour wait. so do the chat thing. sorry cant help you, you need a level 3 tec. but their place in ohio was hit by a storm and phones are down for the week and no power but we have you on the list for a call back. Right. E mails and text chat all week still nowhere. Genie sucks.

good to know :thankyou:

1655578928002.png

Chamberlain garage door openers, love them. You can get chain or belt drive, bet is considerably quieter.

Installed a Genie belt drive 8 years ago purchased from the Depot... Its never missed a beat..
Just don't ask me about the pushbutton controllers.. The kind mounted on the outdoor frame you punch the code into..... LOVE em when they work... On my third one.....

I will only use the Chamberlain or Liftmaster Direct Drive opener. It mounts directly to the end of the jack shaft and other than the motor it has no other moving parts plus there’s nothing hanging from the ceiling. The only drawback is that they are expensive but they require little maintenance and don’t break down.

Craftsman screw drive opener around 45 years old...still works...

Liftmaster Direct Drive opener.
These are the coolest.... Been a while since I looked at these but seems as if there are some drawbacks to them?? Old brain here, I can't remember......

How about a 180 here? 40yrs ago, I saw an air operated opener at a trucking company in N.C.; super quiet & quick. It was a test unit.

These are the coolest.... Been a while since I looked at these but seems as if there are some drawbacks to them?? Old brain here, I can't remember......
The cost is the only drawback that I’ve encountered.
I’ve got them on two of my three garage doors.

Auto Transport Service
Back