• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Getting close to semi retirement .

I've been retired (carpenter) for about 15 years. I'm going to have to live until 200, or clone me to do all the stuff I want to do and get all my projects done - and I know that will never happen. Playing with cars, woodworking, gardening, hunting, fishing and spending time with my new (and only - so far) grand child, time just flys by. When I first pulled the pin, I was scratching my head for about 3 months, after that I never looked back. At some point in life, it's not about the $$ as much as how much time you have left to enjoy those $$. Enjoy the ride. If you think the first 50 years went fast ..........

I will be eligible to retire by the end of the year,not sure if I will be able to yet though. I wanted to buy a Hellcat Challenger, but a five year car loan is not happening if retirement is in the near future, so I bought what I believe is the most Challenger I could find without getting a car loan. It's a 2010 5.7 six speed car with 18k miles on it. It is in amazing condition.

20230201_164526.jpg

20230201_164540.jpg

20230201_164553.jpg

20230202_062939.jpg

I will be eligible to retire by the end of the year,not sure if I will be able to yet though. I wanted to buy a Hellcat Challenger, but a five year car loan is not happening if retirement is in the near future, so I bought what I believe is the most Challenger I could find without getting a car loan. It's a 2010 5.7 six speed car with 18k miles on it. It is in amazing condition.
I went to age 69 so I could pay cash for the last two GTXs.

I hear you guys about keeping busy.
I have plenty of projects lined up and she started another list this weekend.

Congrats and have fun. I cashed in my tool business after 28 years and retired here a few years ago. Good thing I did. 6 months later I had open heart surgery and that takes a little while to recoup from. You will wonder how you got everything done when you were working full time. LOL It is nice to work at your own pace on projects and chores. If you don't get it done today you can finish it up tomorrow.

Only 28 years? I was at my job for 42 1/2 years.
I was service writer at a GM dealer for 13 before getting into the tool business and a parts store manager before that. That puts me at about that 42 year mark. It was time for me to get out of the tool business. The countries of origin were changing on a lot of products and I needed a new truck. Even a used one goes for $50,000. At 62 why spend the last 5 years of your business career paying off a truck. I got out at the right time.

The secret to a worry free retirement is good $$$ management. It was always preached to us that you needed half a million $$ stashed away to get by. Coming up to retirement, I was worried about that, because I was certainly not in that position. But, if you multiply your expected value of your annual pensions, by the years of your life expectancy, that figure is approachable. We built a new home in 2003, but got that paid off before we each retired (my wife was a year after me). I bought a used low mile Magnum R/T wagon early in 2008, just before that recession hit. That event played hell with our RRSP savings, but I got the car paid off before I retired. After my wife retired, we decided that we no longer needed two vehicles, because we rarely needed to go in different directions at the same time. We sold her PT Cruiser and my Magnum and bought a year-old ex-Enterprise rental 2015 Durango at a great saving. This SUV served us well for 6 years and we traded it in on a well equipped Grand Cherokee last year. Again, a great saving on this one owner low mileage vehicle. In retirement, this is the only bank debt we have. We both agree that we feel we have more disposable income now, than when we worked every day. Of course, it does not cost as much to live in retirement, because, if you have done it right, you have everything you need by that time. I still have funds to complete the restoration of my '64 Polara, and enjoy it and my '67 R/T. Life is good! Do not fear retirement. After 40+ years of working, you have earned it.

I forgot to mention that your equity in your house or cottage would be part of that calculation of how much $$$ you have to retire on. As well as your antique cars. We don't like to think about it, but there will be a time when we can no longer drive and enjoy them. If they are not destined to be passed down to family or friends, they can be converted to cash to allow one to stay in their own home as long as possible. For a short period last year, I was a millionaire, based on the incredible prices that houses were selling for in our area. Things have settled down since. My only fear in my retirement is whether I will be able to live in my own home as long as I would like to. With the cost of living rising so fast (food, fuel, taxes, etc.), and the fact that I have not had a raise in over 10 years, this is a constant concern. It seems that right now, the stock market is enjoying more of my RRIF than I am.

We have planned over the years for this time period of our life.
My wife did have some unexpected health issues and surgeries that came along.
That did change a few things for us.
She is a little older and started her SSI at 62 and did retire.
Our home is a double edge sword lol.
120 year old 2 story 4 bd, 2 bath, 2 car garage that is paid for.
Only problem is there is just 2 of us in it.
It would make sense to sell and down size but we like it here and have over the years remodeled and improved it to suit us. Durning the winter months we just use the 1st floor.
We will just stay put here in Iowa, no snow birding , I will continue to work part time but will enjoy the extra income from SSI and a little more time for personal projects.
Thanks for the well wishes and advice guys.

Auto Transport Service
Back