• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Getting closer.... first fire up

I know we talked about this but, i dont remember, how big is the motor and, you obviously havent dynoed the motor but, what kind of numbers are you hoping for when you take the car to dyno it?
If 540 cubes with twin 76mm Precision turbos and 16 injectors. On pump gas, it should easily push well past 1200 to the tire. C16 should get us closer to 1500 and on methanol, 2000 should be max effort. Probably never run methanol but wanted the option.

Good to hear the old girl growl again! If you get out with it this fall let me know, I'll come help.

Good to hear the old girl growl again! If you get out with it this fall let me know, I'll come help.
Thanks. That’d be cool. We’re shooting for Cordova on October 11th. It’s a long shot as the checklist is still rather large. We figured out the idle issues and got it to start and idle with no throttle input. I removed the electric fuel pump and connected the cable drive pump so we’re now starting the whole process over.

Last edited:
That'd be a perfect way to spend my birthday! Keep me posted.

Took off the annoying electric pump and hooked up the cable drive setup. Worked on fuel settings and now we have a hot rod! Starts and idles. Now to get it buttoned up and driving.

That's some good oil psi!
Missile dry sump pump. It also drives the fuel pump drive cable. Three stage suction and single stage positive. If I crank the idle down to 950rpm or so, it’ll drop to 20 psi hot idle. The mains are at .0035 and are probably.0045-.005 hot with that aluminum block. With two open 4an turbo feeds, 8 piston oilers, and those main clearances, I think it’s pretty good.

So..., we had the car on the dyno today. We fixed several issues with the tune and got a lot dialed in. We got the fuel map corrected and alot of the transitional fuel based on tps. Apparently the water pump bolts backed out and the pump pulled out of the housing enough for the contents of the cooling system to dump all over ending our day. We only got to 15psi and never got over 5600rpm on 92 octane pump swill. Unfortunately we only got to 900 at the tire when that happened. Ugh. There’s always next year!

That's still pretty impressive Mike.
Thanks Tim. I need to work out a lot of new car bugs. The water meth may be robbing some power as we sprayed a bunch. There’s a lot to work out on this deal. With our troubles, I flat ran out of time today.

So..., we had the car on the dyno today. We fixed several issues with the tune and got a lot dialed in. We got the fuel map corrected and alot of the transitional fuel based on tps. Apparently the water pump bolts backed out and the pump pulled out of the housing enough for the contents of the cooling system to dump all over ending our day. We only got to 15psi and never got over 5600rpm on 92 octane pump swill. Unfortunately we only got to 900 at the tire when that happened. Ugh. There’s always next year!
Sorry to hear it didn't go as planned.

But I bet a lot of guys would love to be bummed out about only making 900 HP. :D

Took off the annoying electric pump and hooked up the cable drive setup. Worked on fuel settings and now we have a hot rod! Starts and idles. Now to get it buttoned up and driving.

Love the sound of those turbo's!! Great to see this progressing.

It was a great day overall. I was lifting just past peak torque. It made 867 ft/lbs of torque on the pump gas tune.

Mike on your exhaust is the front tube exhaust and the one closest to tire wastegate? I'm wondering how much extra heat that'll put in the front tires on a road trip?

Mike on your exhaust is the front tube exhaust and the one closest to tire wastegate? I'm wondering how much extra heat that'll put in the front tires on a road trip?
Correct. They’re both wrapped with heat shield and the wastegate tube doesn’t have any heat unless the gates are open. I don’t expect it to be an issue.

What's your top boost you think you'll achieve? Did you use the Snow injection system?

What's your top boost you think you'll achieve? Did you use the Snow injection system?
I used the Holley water injection system. I think ultimately we’ll only get to 28-30 psi with these turbos and it’ll take E85, C16 or methanol to get there.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back