• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gigi - '66 Charger

subforry

Local time
11:39 PM
Reaction score
Well a big milestone was met yesterday. After many days of work, the suspension has been rebuilt - what a job. I lost count the number of times I complained about the cost of parts and wondered what Chrysler engineers were thinking. But here it is. Front disc brakes are installed. The rear spacers really improve the look of the car.

I found some loose ball joint nuts, a brake hose that was ready to pop, and that the rear diff has been locked. The sway bar was rubbing on a strut rod. I fixed a broken exhaust hanger and installed a O2 sensor bung. I still need to weld a cracked muffler. So many little things found along the way that needed fixing.

Still to go is the dual circuit master cylinder, updating the cooling system, and cleaning up the trans cooler install. Then I can finally driver her again. Thanks for all the help I have received on this forum.

20231228_164439.JPG

Awesome! Good work and nice pic!!

Nice Charger. Good luck. I just converted the brakes on mine last year.

Finished up the brakes and got it to the alignment shop. What a transformation, it rides and handles beautifully.

It seems like the drivers side is sagging. The torsion bar adjuster bolt is already turned in further than the passenger side. I ordered a new set of adjusters from PST. Also I will make sure I got the bars on the correct side. Is there something else that could cause a front side to sag?

The fuel tank started leaking. I redid the JP Weld putty patch I found and ordered a new tank. It's a hair line crack near the left, rear, upper corner.

At highway speeds there is a raising and lowering growling sound. I think the drive shaft needs new u-joint/balance.

I think the rear diff is ok. It's just that the suregrip is way tighter that I expected, so good news there.

The new rad and aluminum water pump seem to have fixed any hot running issues.

And so much more. It's kind of a saga. But it's a blast to drive.

On the sagging, don't forget the car is 58 years old. T-bars and springs are like us, don't stay strong or last forever. Look into replacing them. Also look at the K-frame where the lower control arm shaft goes through. The welded sleeve there can get broken welds, cracks etc which can allow the shaft to move affecting the bolt adjustment. May need some repair there.

Great car. Just keep nibbling away at the little things until you're happy.

Auto Transport Service
Back