• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Glove Box Stereo

mrkinger

Local time
4:25 PM
Reaction score
I would like to install a stereo in my glove box ,i wouldnt want to cut up my dash in my 65 Belvedere .Does anyone make brackets or a plate for this .thanks for any help in advance
Paul

The few I've seen have been custom built out of fiberglass or boxed in some type of masonite or light wood. As much as I like the hidden stereo idea, I also really like having a glove box to hide all my clutter. I mounted a stereo to the back of the ashtray on the slider in my '67 Polara. It tucks away nicely and slides out to change cds. Otherwise I just use the remote and it's always out of sight.

I have the under dash air ,i should have posted that also.so it dosent allow me much room

any stereo shop worth a crap will get you an underdash mounting box just flip it. I was in that biz for 20 years and did a ton of those

radio in glove box

I would like to install a stereo in my glove box ,i wouldnt want to cut up my dash in my 65 Belvedere .Does anyone make brackets or a plate for this .thanks for any help in advance
Paul​

This is what I did in my 65 Coronet 500.....
I got a new Kenwood am/fm/cd/mp3/bluetooth/serius radio..(whew)... off eBay for right at $100.00 and free shipping. Then bought a repop glove box liner for $20.00 and cut it to fit the radio. Once mounted it is quite sturdy and I really didn't loose that much space in the glovebox. I can still keep all my cars paperwoork and a few maps + plus the remote control and mp3 player in there. (notice the original radio in place as a dummy).

For speakers... I didn't want to cut anything so I made a pair of wood boxes...lined with styrofoam....and covered with carpet material. Then mounted my 5" 3 way speakers with about 10 feet of speaker wire leads. (routed behind the kick panel, under the sill plate and up through the carpet under the front seats.) Now when at a cruise in, show or drive-in I can set the speakers on the boot, (convertible), or outside the car. Sounds great too. I incorperated rc plugs for the speaker leads in case I needed to remove them for whatever reason.
Nothing in the car had to be cut and the dash and interior panels are original.​

Attachments

• glove box radio (Small).jpg
    glove box radio (Small).jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 991
  • radio 2 (Small).jpg
    radio 2 (Small).jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 555
  • radio 3 (Small).jpg
    radio 3 (Small).jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 563
  • speaker (Small).jpg
    speaker (Small).jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 540
Thanks everyone ,i have some great ideals now

Paul​

This is what I did in my 65 Coronet 500.....
I got a new Kenwood am/fm/cd/mp3/bluetooth/serius radio..(whew)... off eBay for right at $100.00 and free shipping. Then bought a repop glove box liner for $20.00 and cut it to fit the radio. Once mounted it is quite sturdy and I really didn't loose that much space in the glovebox. I can still keep all my cars paperwoork and a few maps + plus the remote control and mp3 player in there. (notice the original radio in place as a dummy).

For speakers... I didn't want to cut anything so I made a pair of wood boxes...lined with styrofoam....and covered with carpet material. Then mounted my 5" 3 way speakers with about 10 feet of speaker wire leads. (routed behind the kick panel, under the sill plate and up through the carpet under the front seats.) Now when at a cruise in, show or drive-in I can set the speakers on the boot, (convertible), or outside the car. Sounds great too. I incorperated rc plugs for the speaker leads in case I needed to remove them for whatever reason.
Nothing in the car had to be cut and the dash and interior panels are original.​

Have the radio mounted the same way in my 64 Belvedere.

There are several choices today and the above solution was quite popular several years ago and is still an option and likely less expensive than what I am listing below, which is just another alternative for those that are not aware of it.

With all of the new products for listening to music today it is quite simple (although not cheap) to have the best of both worlds with the old original looking radio and the new sound.

There are several services around that convert our old AM radios to AM/FM. They all use the same replacement mother board and all charge right around $500 for the service. This allows us to have the original AM (looking) radio in the dash and have FM with the use of the same original volume/tuner controls for that original radio. They also provide an option for an external MP3 or the likes to be plugged into the original radio with an umbillical cord from under the dash. The problem is that they still need an auxillary high powered amp. This can be hidden under some seats or in the trunk. Then of course we need the appropriate speakers to hear all of this wonderful music through. There are examples in the posts above on how to have these speakers without being intrusive to our original type interiors.

What about just installing a small amp under the seat or dash, and using a mp3 player as the source. That way there is no cutting and you still have a modern stereo. Just attatch the headphone out of the mp3 to the line in of the amp.

What about just installing a small amp under the seat or dash, and using a mp3 player as the source. That way there is no cutting and you still have a modern stereo. Just attatch the headphone out of the mp3 to the line in of the amp.

I am an old guy and don't really understand all of these new fangled contraptions.:bootyshake:
But if you are talking about using earphones in the car BAD IDEA!! How are you going to hear your cell phone ring??:bootyshake:
Seriously, no head phones or cell phones when in my car.

No headphones, plug a cord in the headphone jack of the mp3 player and the other end in to the input of an amp with speakers. You are just using the mp3 player as a source for the amp.

Auto Transport Service
Back