• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Going back to points

poly3521

Local time
7:04 AM
Reaction score
Decided I should go back to original points distributor. I've got nos points, a good used distributor, but I'm lost on the condenser. The original part number is 3420600, but will any condenser work, or is there a difference between them?

Any good tuneup kit should have a proper condenser. @HALIFAXHOPS can make recommendations and or sell you what you need.

Keep away from the new ones at the store they are junk. I have NOS or NORS ones PM we if needed. The value of it should be .25-285 MFD

Ray will fix you right up! No China made ignition parts.

Would dr101s work? Mopar 73691? I'm trying to relearn so I can teach my sons. My dad said that a condenser is a condenser, but I'm not sure

Decided I should go back to original points distributor. I've got nos points, a good used distributor, but I'm lost on the condenser. The original part number is 3420600, but will any condenser work, or is there a difference between them?
Get a condenser designed for the distributor. Mounting can be different between the numbers. If all condensers were the same there would only be 1 part number for all applications. LOL Don't buy today's junk. Like mentioned before, contact @HALIFAXHOPS for correct and quality ignition parts made 50 years ago when quality was part of the manufacturers business model.

And I won't buy cheap Chinese crap. If I don't have new old stuff laying around, I'll find nos somewhere. Nice thing is, my grandfather worked at a Dodge dealership back in the early to late 60s. Still have some parts he got through the years, mostly old Atlas and Mopar parts

And I won't buy cheap Chinese crap. If I don't have new old stuff laying around, I'll find nos somewhere. Nice thing is, my grandfather worked at a Dodge dealership back in the early to late 60s. Still have some parts he got through the years, mostly old Atlas and Mopar parts
Lucky dog! I try to buy good stuff from Hoppy

points4.PNG

Condensers must have a specific rated value usually for most mopar .25-.285. As I stated earlier. Lots of parts numbers superceded each other in Mopar. Not cheap either that on e for 38 is actually high IMO but seen way worse.

Gotcha, gotta measure the capacitance. I think most people on e fell and bumped their heads. Old doesn't always mean rare and there's other parts out there. What's the best newer condensers to look for @HALIFAXHOPS

Get a condenser designed for the distributor. Mounting can be different between the numbers. If all condensers were the same there would only be 1 part number for all applications. LOL Don't buy today's junk. Like mentioned before, contact @HALIFAXHOPS for correct and quality ignition parts made 50 years ago when quality was part of the manufacturers business model.

Condensers play a critical role in the ignition system. Condensers are rated in Micro Farads (MFD) usually at a max not to exceed working voltage. Typical ignition condensers in conjunction with a points ignigion system, absorb the coil's primary winding induced voltage that allows the coil to produce the high voltage for the spark. Ideally, the condenser's MFD or capacitive reactance should match the coil's inductive reactance to compliment each other and provide long life and a good hot spark. FYI....the condenser must absorb ~ 250 volts DC from the coil's primary winding hen the points open and create the spark.
Halifaxhops is a great source as well as [email protected]. they both have a terrific assortment of NOS stuff for Mopar and other models at very reasonable prices. I perfer NOS Mopar or NOS Standard Motor Products Blue Streak points and condensers. Just my opinion of course.
BOB RENTON

Condensers play a critical role in the ignition system. Condensers are rated in Micro Farads (MFD) usually at a max not to exceed working voltage. Typical ignition condensers in conjunction with a points ignigion system, absorb the coil's primary winding induced voltage that allows the coil to produce the high voltage for the spark. Ideally, the condenser's MFD or capacitive reactance should match the coil's inductive reactance to compliment each other and provide long life and a good hot spark. FYI....the condenser must absorb ~ 250 volts DC from the coil's primary winding hen the points open and create the spark.
Halifaxhops is a great source as well as [email protected]. they both have a terrific assortment of NOS stuff for Mopar and other models at very reasonable prices. I perfer NOS Mopar or NOS Standard Motor Products Blue Streak points and condensers. Just my opinion of course.
BOB RENTON
Wel expalined Bob. I use usualy NORS parts in the rebuilds I like Standard, atlas, Dellco, Fiko etc. I have Mopar also but not cheap any more so kind of save them for 100 point distributors.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I thought we had Atlas points and condensers but all we have is fuel filters. Dad got them when the garage he worked at closed. I'll see if I can find some old blue streak, as I know Standard isn't the same anymore. Does anybody know what DR101 condensers fit, I did find a full box of them

Thanks guys, I thought we had Atlas points and condensers but all we have is fuel filters. Dad got them when the garage he worked at closed. I'll see if I can find some old blue streak, as I know Standard isn't the same anymore. Does anybody know what DR101 condensers fit, I did find a full box of them
DR is Delco Remy usually GM.

I thought they were GM. Thanks guys for all the help, I greatly appreciate all the knowledge. Now to teach my boys a few things I just learned

You want deco that USUALY start with a A then 3 digits

Auto Transport Service
Back