• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

going ladder bar suspension

I went to ladder bars from Cal Tracs & Split Mono Leafs and have zero regrets. Since converting my car has not spun a tire. It dead hooks every pass and dead straight. Consistent 134 60's and 10.0's.

did you have to back half the car ,was thinking of doing ladder bars or 4 link had ladder bars on my 68 r/r

I was dead set on a RMS StreetLynx or Gerst triangulated rear suspension system for my 70 Roadrunner, but in a long thread that actually started with my musing about using ladder bars instead (totally inappropriate for my mostly street driven "cruiser") I changed my mind and the Calvert split mono leaf springs, sliders, and Assassin traction bars, along with some Viking double adjustable shocks (I already have Viking double adjustable shocks on the front) is the route I'm taking. I actually got concerned about TOO MUCH adjustability and with my limited knowledge and experience, I felt like I'd do better with the setup I'm going with because it would be easier to get dialed in, and I don't ever expect to go faster than 9s, if that.
Sometimes "less" is better if you get 100% out of its capabilities vs say 70% of "more".

I was dead set on a RMS StreetLynx or Gerst triangulated rear suspension system for my 70 Roadrunner, but in a long thread that actually started with my musing about using ladder bars instead (totally inappropriate for my mostly street driven "cruiser") I changed my mind and the Calvert split mono leaf springs, sliders, and Assassin traction bars, along with some Viking double adjustable shocks (I already have Viking double adjustable shocks on the front) is the route I'm taking. I actually got concerned about TOO MUCH adjustability and with my limited knowledge and experience, I felt like I'd do better with the setup I'm going with because it would be easier to get dialed in, and I don't ever expect to go faster than 9s, if that.
Sometimes "less" is better if you get 100% out of its capabilities vs say 70% of "more".
—-
A couple of pics from 2 seasons ago. Glad those issues are done with.

This pic is about 5 - 10' feet out. Front coming up and all is starting out good but rear end separation is also in motion.
9E1F84A7-44F8-4E96-A578-8346C8D6FC71.png

Same race, now about 30 - 40’ out. Front is down and rear is up. Rear tires pretty much off the track. Then the rear would come back down and it would start all over.
52CF0E98-B763-4335-8397-BADC5102594E.png

Was on Split monos, cal tracs, QA1 dble adjustables front and rear. Glad those days are gone.

Last edited:
My 64 is not backhalfed, stock frame rails.
Doug
---
Doug's car, Doug's set up and watching how nice it would launch sure was a major influence on my switch to ladder bars.

Auto Transport Service
Back