• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Going to the paint shop... what to beware of?

Thanks guys for the tips. This shop is part of a larger paint an dbody shop. They have two "sections" with two separate crews. One does regular collision type work, the other focuses entirely on older vehicles or other unique custom type work. I think there's some kind of partnership or something.

I've just gotten paranoid over the last several years. I've noticed: auto parts store guys no longer seem to have a clue about anything except how to ring up what you're buying, mechanics no longer seem to know how to actually fix something mechanical, heck even the cashiers at grocery stores no longer seem to know how to ring up a customer and give proper change (let alone properly bag the groceries). Don't even get me started on "doctors".

Before leaving the car at the shop, thrash out a price, or an agreement in writing at the very least.

It's all too easy to say "Let me know when you're done"

Coming back here for advice when it all goes pear-shaped with a Panel & Paint shop, is something none of us will enjoy. :thumbsup:

problem with these cars is they never just "need a paint job"........ usually they need a paint job because a can of worms is hiding just beneath the surface ....... you and the shop both need to understand there is a place to "draw the line" before it becomes out of control....... good luck

And don't forget the overspray that will happen in the engine bay and interior upholstery. Always does.....
Get the terms of the job in writing and record the conversation on your phone.

Ha! The guy originally said 8 weeks. Today he said he could get a third helper and get it done in 3-4 weeks.
That's great.
have him put that in writing 3-4 weeks to complete and you include a clause stating for every day it's not complete he looses $200 bucks off the bill.

That's great.
have him put that in writing 3-4 weeks to complete and you include a clause stating for every day it's not complete he looses $200 bucks off the bill.
That's usually a good way to get your car back with a half *** paint job or one that's not complete. But it may get your car back faster :D

make sure you have a written, signed by both parties contract of just what work the shop is doing, clearly spelling out how much $$$, when payments are due. Any parts such as your bumpers, etc they are removing....go and get them asap and take them home. Parts have a habit of "disappearing". You can take them back for them to put back on when the time comes. Take PLENTY of pictures of your car...before, during, and after. Stop in often, and unannounced. It's sad to say, but even/especially if the shop owner is a friend....don't trust them. There are too many stories on this site alone about people getting ripped off, parts disappearing, just plain crappy work.

I worked at a restoration shop where the boss was not financially set for large long term jobs. A slummy, dark, dirty shop. He would take jobs on. He would collect the start money from the client. The client was on speed dial every two weeks to cough up more funds. In the mean time. The boss would have a young kid take apart the car. Who knows where the parts went. Then the car would sit for a lengthy time . Held as hostage. Mean time other cars are being dismantled or others worked on bit at a time. Most of these car client owners up here needed a payment plan , when they paid. A little more would get done. Pretty shady business. Most of the customers ended up pouring 30 g plus into cars to never see them finished. The boss sucked them dry. Needless to say alot of unfinished cars.
Not all restoration shops up here are like this. But then again most have closed there doors. I seen one 69 Charger , just about every piece of tin replaced. 50g in work. Customer had to pull the car unfinished. No money left over. Ive seen alot of crap go on. Over my 45 year career as a autobody ,paint tech.
I saw a 90 g primered 68 runner shell. No new parts, no nothing. I believe he's being sued by a few different people. Out of business of course. A wannabee *** monkey garage type deal.

NINDY GRAND

I worked at a restoration shop where the boss was not financially set for large long term jobs. A slummy, dark, dirty shop. He would take jobs on. He would collect the start money from the client. The client was on speed dial every two weeks to cough up more funds. In the mean time. The boss would have a young kid take apart the car. Who knows where the parts went. Then the car would sit for a lengthy time . Held as hostage. Mean time other cars are being dismantled or others worked on bit at a time. Most of these car client owners up here needed a payment plan , when they paid. A little more would get done. Pretty shady business. Most of the customers ended up pouring 30 g plus into cars to never see them finished. The boss sucked them dry. Needless to say alot of unfinished cars.
Not all restoration shops up here are like this. But then again most have closed there doors. I seen one 69 Charger , just about every piece of tin replaced. 50g in work. Customer had to pull the car unfinished. No money left over. Ive seen alot of crap go on. Over my 45 year career as a autobody ,paint tech.
I know of a couple of shops that do more modern work that are pretty sleazy too. Don't know about nowadays but there's one guy that has a Viper shop out in Katy Texas that was doing similar stuff. I don't keep up with him anymore but know about some of the stuff he did like fixing cars with parts off of other customer's cars. He also stiffed dealerships when buying parts on credit. One dealership that I know of told him after ending up holding the bag 'cash only' because of his antics. It's not just classic car owners getting scammed.....

Auto Transport Service
Back