• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gold investing.

gold_20_year_o_usd_x.png

Todays price for an ounce of gold is $1,815.00.
I bought 1oz. American Eagle gold coins when it was in the $400.00 an ounce range.
So when it comes time for me to cash in, I'll be doing very well, but yes, i will be wondering how much i can get for each coin, when it comes time for me to sell.

You could sell it today for spot price +30 for random year American Eagles or maybe more. There's good demand for American Eagles so i would shop around to see who pays the most.

I certainly hope this isn’t viewed as political - but the govt is and has been keeping the price of gold in a range. If it were to be truly open market gold would be worth much more than it is and has been for sometime. I forget the reasoning - but as usual it has not to do for your benefit. It has everything to do with market control and essentially discouraging the ownership to the degree they can. If left to a truly free market gold would be worth much more than it is today. Sorry but I just don’t recall the specifics - They have discouraged me from buying.

Diversify, don't put all your eggs in any 1 golden basket

if you bought it sometime before when it was really on a rise
to prior to 2000 - 2009 maybe & saved it thru the lul', years
it was a good/great investment
or in the lul' 2014 -2019 not as good as before 2000 was/cheap-er

you only lose $$ if you sell at the lows, when it goes down,
if you hold onto it, it goes back up & back down like it tends to do
just need to know when to dump it, you will still take a % hit cashing it in

I'm not a financial adviser, I just talk **** on a car forum :carrot:
talk to a professional

Right now IMO not a good time to buy a lot of gold
not much there for your dollar
you can make a lot more & good quarterly dividends off better investments
that don't charge/cost you 10% to cash it in

Silver is worse, it rarely climbs much if any, when it does it's really slow
about $50+ish an oz is the high point for pure .999 silver,
(not exact ? back in the 80's, $59 oz .999 pure (?) IIRC)
I haven't looked in a long time
now today it's $25.90+ish
(depending on where & how much you buy, whether its coins or .999 pure)
you can see it's about 1/2 of what it was at the high point,
a very long time ago
not coins
, most of it is not pure/the circulated ****
(although you can spend it like cash)
it rarely is (or was) there at those highs
you can get a shitload of it for a lot less
(not a great investment IMO)
I do have a crapload of coins over the years

although it will always be worth something

if that makes any sense

I like 'lead' myself :elmer:

Last edited:
Todays price for an ounce of gold is $1,815.00.
I bought 1oz. American Eagle gold coins when it was in the $400.00 an ounce range.
So when it comes time for me to cash in, I'll be doing very well, but yes, i will be wondering how much i can get for each coin, when it comes time for me to sell.
Right now, I'll bet you are offered $1600. The first thing the local gold dealer did was take $100 off spot price, then discounted THAT two more percent, cause the coin is .98 ounce. There's no way an eagle sells back to a dealer for over spot. Thats NOT happening.

Gold prices don't fluctuate as much as silver or platinum. Buy and hold gold for the long haul because it will be worth something when the green toilet paper fiat currencies finally collapse.

Silver...buy low and sell high. It fluctuates. Timing is everything. Also, many "experts" expect silver spot prices to climb dramatically as they believe it is currently undervalued.

Selling gold...some buyers (e.g., sdbullion) will buy small amounts...like a minimum of one troy ounce. Not sure what is their current minimum.

Selling silver...you might find some buyers have a 50 troy ounce minimum for bars.

Please be advised that there are fake coins and bullion bars on the market. You need to buy only from some reputable mints in the U.S., Canada, Britain, Australia, and a couple/few in Europe. Look for security features on the coins and bars like holograms and laser etching.

American eagles are very popular, but be careful. There are some silver plated "American eagles" being sold on ebay. The price is cheaper than usual. The silver plating is mentioned in the fine print...not false advertising.

Hedge your bets.

Good luck.

Last edited:
My dad made a killing in Silver back in the '70s when the Hunt Brothers tried to corner the market. He bought cheap before they started their attempt, and sold three days before the bottom dropped hard.
That’s crazy because my dad did the same thing at the same time.

Forget gold and silver. Buy guns. If you have the guns you can always take the gold & silver...

Chuck (snook)

Forget gold and silver. Buy guns. If you have the guns you can always take the gold & silver...

Chuck (snook)

I'd be willing to bet that almost everyone with a significant stack of gold/silver also collects lead.

I'd be willing to bet that almost everyone with a significant stack of gold/silver also collects lead.
Collecting lead is not the same as dispensing it... accumulation of treasure brings its own innate dangers. I'm not against building specie assets BTW.

Chuck (snook)

I got ammo!!!!!
I don’t think you can say if my uncle has tits he would be my aunt, with all the gender **** going a round.
I bought 30oz of silver from a guy once, it sits in one of my gun safes.

There is a difference between buying a 1 oz. coin and 1 oz. ingot.
Or a manufactured bullet or raw lead.

Like buying a cooked egg and a raw egg. There is a cost for cooking or minting in the case of the coin.
If you want to hedge against a falling dollar, you buy bullion not coins.
Bullion can be sold much closer to melt than a coin unless the coin was bought when the metal was down.
Metals change value through out the day, each day. Like any investment there is going to be a little bit of effort required to make the most gains. Generally as the value of the dollar goes down, the value of metals goes up.
An inflationary market is an ideal time to buy metals. Silver is actually a better investment and much easier to buy and sell.
Lets say 1 oz of Gold is $1800.. And 1 oz of silver is $20. What is more likely to happen ? Gold going up 10% in a day or silver ?

I f you look at the value as 1 oz. to 1 oz. you miss the real picture. The equal value in silver weight is 90 oz. to 1 oz in Gold. If they both go up 10 % they are equal in total value but silver fluctuates by % more than Gold does in reality.
An oz of Silver is more more likely to go to $26. per oz. ( about 30%) than Gold is to go up to $2,340. per oz. (again about 30%).
What is more liquid and oz of Silver or an oz of Gold?
I have about 10% Gold to 50% Silver in my account.
For over 1,000 years until the 20th century the Silver to Gold value ratio was avg. 10 to 15 :1.

Since the Gold standard was abandoned in the 70's it has averaged about 65:1 .
During Covid it was as high as 125:1 !
The only Coins that are universally liquid are the U.S. Silver and Gold Eagle coins. Also the Canadian Maple Leafs which have a more purity than almost any coin worldwide, .9999 pure. And the premium is lower than a US coin. When I buy coins i normally buy Maple Leafs. You get more value for your dollar.
A Historical Guide to the Gold-Silver Ratio
like anything else, people are generally uncomfortable about things that they don't know alot about.
With any purchase you make, be it car parts, beer, or a TV. Educate yourself and do your research before you spend or invest your money .
Right now spot price for Gold is $1816.73 and Silver is $ 20.68 .
Current Spot Prices - Gold, Silver, and Platinum Prices Live

Last edited:
I certainly hope this isn’t viewed as political - but the govt is and has been keeping the price of gold in a range. If it were to be truly open market gold would be worth much more than it is and has been for sometime. I forget the reasoning - but as usual it has not to do for your benefit. It has everything to do with market control and essentially discouraging the ownership to the degree they can. If left to a truly free market gold would be worth much more than it is today. Sorry but I just don’t recall the specifics - They have discouraged me from buying.
It's not the Govt controlling the price, it's the Central Banks. Precious metals are kept in check, to keep Their Fiat Currency in use. If they let the metals go to their actual values, the paper money would almost be worthless. Keep an eye on the BRICS Nations, as they have gone to Metals Backed currencies, and their vales may differ. As to the OP's original post, if you're not in need of the cash for the coins, Hold 'em, you'll know soon enough if prices will rise, or fall.
You can go look online @ Apmex.com
They have updated pricing, and also buy metals...

I have a couple (almost) one ounce coins. I see the exact coin for sale anywhere from mid $1800s, to over $1900 dollars. Yet, trying to sell one, I'm offered pennies over $1700 (from three vendors in two states). MELT value is $1775!
So basically, if I buy a coin for the BEST price I can find, and turn around to sell it, I either lose about 10%, or wait for gold price to go UP 10%. I can understand a gold dealer making a profit.... but this makes sticking your money in a bank and getting nothing point zilch interest look like a good strategy. At least if I deposit $1000, I can take out $1000 tomorrow. It almost makes investing in car parts look smart.
What say you?

Welcome to the world of commodities sales, stock market transactions, etc. It's called the spread. They buy for one price, sell for a higher price.

It's not the Govt controlling the price, it's the Central Banks. Precious metals are kept in check, to keep Their Fiat Currency in use. If they let the metals go to their actual values, the paper money would almost be worthless. Keep an eye on the BRICS Nations, as they have gone to Metals Backed currencies, and their vales may differ. As to the OP's original post, if you're not in need of the cash for the coins, Hold 'em, you'll know soon enough if prices will rise, or fall.
You can go look online @ Apmex.com
They have updated pricing, and also buy metals...
Not disagreeing with you - but who are the Central Banks if not the govt/govts? One and the same - They just wear different color hoodies…….

I asked a guy 40-years ago that was already a millionaire at the time to give me some investing advice. He told me to not worry about investing so long as I had an outstanding debit that required me to pay someone for using their money. So I spent my life never giving money away in interest to someone else. I didn't have the biggest house when I started out, but it was paid for and I didn't have that payment coming due every 30-days. I also never had to really worry about quitting a job I didn't like because I never had bills like most people had. Yeah I did without a lot of things in the beginning, but 10-years later I could do things and owned things that other people couldn't.

So Gold Investing? If you have any other debit invest in paying that off first. The return is far greater than you'll ever yield trading metals.

Tom

Not disagreeing with you - but who are the Central Banks if not the govt/govts? One and the same - They just wear different color hoodies…….
The Central Banks are the Entity that own, and control the Money, Worldwide, until the breakaway by the BRICS Nations. Our US Dollars are owned by them, We just borrow them, with Interest attached, Adding to Our National Debt as They print them up, just as the Fed, and IRS, are the Strong Arm for the CB's. Go look up the Rothschild Family, on Duck Duck Go, and look into Their past history, you'll get a better idea of it. It got it's current start in 1913...

I asked a guy 40-years ago that was already a millionaire at the time to give me some investing advice. He told me to not worry about investing so long as I had an outstanding debit that required me to pay someone for using their money. So I spent my life never giving money away in interest to someone else. I didn't have the biggest house when I started out, but it was paid for and I didn't have that payment coming due every 30-days. I also never had to really worry about quitting a job I didn't like because I never had bills like most people had. Yeah I did without a lot of things in the beginning, but 10-years later I could do things and owned things that other people couldn't.

So Gold Investing? If you have any other debit invest in paying that off first. The return is far greater than you'll ever yield trading metals.

Tom

There is an asterisk to this strategy- If your investments are paying more than your debt is charging.

Big business does this all the time.

My home mortgage is 3%. Why would I sap money from my brokerage account that is paying 8.5% to pay off that 3% debt?

Basically my investments are making my mortgage payment with some left over that I get to keep.

I do make the equivalent of two additional payments each year, and that has saved tens of thousands of dollars in interest over the life of the loan.

(Actually our real estate investments are making all of our mortgage and bill payments with some left over, but the example above was easier to explain)

Auto Transport Service
Back