• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gonna replace transmission pan gasket but have some questions..

Yup you got it...just put it into gear, hold your foot on the brake pedal, then shift through each gear allowing it to run in that gear for 5-10 seconds. Then in neutral and check you fluid again, top up if needed then go for a drive to get it up to operating temperature. Once back again put in neutral and check fluid level.

These work well with no sealers:

Mopar 4295875AC Transmission Pan Gasket​

Mopar 02464324AC Transmission Pan Gasket​

Available from the dealer, Amazon, and eBay.

The Mr. Gasket transmission pan gaskets also look good but I have not used them myself. Mr. Gasket: 51C01MRG & 51C02MRG.

Mr. Gasket Ultra-Seal intake gaskets 5841 are a no leak product but they are 0.060" thick so check bolt alignment.

So here are some pictures of my project I did this morning / afternoon

I'm waiting a lil while to let it set good before refilling which I'm probably going to do here shortly. .

Was pretty simple project, atleast I thought so thanks for everyone's help and tips.

Snapchat-544158125.jpg

20220820_115103.jpg

20220820_114315.jpg

Snapchat-47727540.jpg

20220820_120151.jpg

Snapchat-1397461677.jpg

20220820_120536.jpg

20220820_122922.jpg

Is that a new pan or did you spray paint it with something? Looks very natural.

Good job.

Is that a new pan or did you spray paint it with something? Looks very natural.

Good job.
It's the original pan I used a wire brush on a drill to clean it up and used a 220 sand paper to clean it up as much as I could. Than I used a very high temperature paint and gave it 2 coats.

Thanks

I like the later A-518 pan gasket from 2000 or so Ram pickup. It is neoprene with steel core and all the holes are o-ringed. Put it on dry and buy a set of the longer pan bolts.
And it's reusable! I've been reusing the same gasket that came with my 2001 Ram for 22 years, now. No sealants required, and I've never had a leak. I've serviced it probably 15 times.

Serviced 15 times in 22 years! I can’t resist asking what’s up with that. Is this the highest mileage, running 2001 Ram in existence?

I used the red ebay silicone gasket installed dry.

Hasn't leaked in over 5 years.

I did retorque the bolts after about 60 days.

Serviced 15 times in 22 years! I can’t resist asking what’s up with that. Is this the highest mileage, running 2001 Ram in existence?
I used to do a lot of towing and I wanted the trans to last, so I figured it was fairly cheap insurance. Probably overkill, but it still hasn't had to be rebuilt so far with 185,000 miles behind the Cummins. I've slowed down in my insanity as I've gotten older, though. :realcrazy:

So the leak stopped but now I see it coming from this part right behind the pan does anyone know what is it or called ? Could just be a loose bolt or o ring ? Any Info would help

Thanks

20220821_165829.jpg

20220821_165838.jpg

So the leak stopped but now I see it coming from this part right behind the pan does anyone know what is it or called ? Could just be a loose bolt or o ring ? Any Info would help

Thanks

View attachment 1331769

View attachment 1331770
I actually just cleaned it saw it was a lil Allen so I just tightened it up some and cleaned it I'll go back to look at in a couple min. ..

20220821_171407.jpg

Screenshot_20220821-173409_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220821-173309_Gallery.jpg

That cable is for reverse.There is an "O"ring on the cable going into that housing. It is possible the allen plug was leaking if it were loose.

That cable is for reverse.There is an "O"ring on the cable going into that housing. It is possible the allen plug was leaking if it were loose.
I believe that allen plug is there to access the clip that holds the park cable. Push button trans.

Anyone know if there's an o ring or something for that lil Allen screw ? And what the torque on that would be ?

Anyone know if there's an o ring or something for that lil Allen screw ? And what the torque on that would be ?

No O ring. You could put a little Teflon paste on it and screw it back in. Not a lot of torque because you could crack the housing.

You know these Mopars do leak on occasion. It's called Horsepower Sweat. :)

These work well with no sealers:

Mopar 4295875AC Transmission Pan Gasket​

Mopar 02464324AC Transmission Pan Gasket​

Available from the dealer, Amazon, and eBay.

The Mr. Gasket transmission pan gaskets also look good but I have not used them myself. Mr. Gasket: 51C01MRG & 51C02MRG.

Mr. Gasket Ultra-Seal intake gaskets 5841 are a no leak product but they are 0.060" thick so check bolt alignment.
I checked Amazon and their fitment chart says it won't fit. Is that because the newer transmission still used the old flange pattern?
Thanks

Auto Transport Service
Back