• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Good "old" tools are worth holding on - and keeping them working . . .

conv67bdere

Super Moderator
Staff member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:03 PM
Reaction score
Several years ago my next door neighbor was cleaning out his workshop and offered me several tools that he no longer had any use . . . and without blinking an eye, bought all of them.

This drill - probably cost me $20 . . . they don't make them like this anymore . . . and this thing is a hoss . . .

Had to bust it out to do a job . . .

sm_drill01.jpg

and it's "probably" not a good idea, when you plug it in and the cord starts sparking . . . and catches on fire . . . can you guess why that happened ? ? ? ?

sm_drill02.jpg

This was the wires inside the handle that attached to the switch . . . so brittle that they were cracking when they were removed form the drill . . .

sm_drill03.jpg

So now . . . this bad boy is sporting a new cord and plug . . . and ready to help me with the next project . . .

sm_drill04.jpg

Ive got a craftsman "skil saw" in a steel case, bought new by my grandpa. Has to be fifty years old, works like a champ, not a single piece of plastic to be found.
The only problem is it weighs more than a bowling ball.

Edit: my grandfather passed almost 50 years ago. My saw must be closer to eighty years old. The saw is aluminum, the case it's in is steel.

Last edited:
you.............. are a brave man
i have several olde electric tools stored in the crypt, not to be used

Ive got a craftsman "skil saw" in a steel case, bought new by my grandpa. Has to be fifty years old, works like a champ, not a single piece of plastic to be found.
The only problem is it weighs more than a bowling ball.

This thing helps keep you in shape . . . -probably weighs the same as 2 bowling balls . . . UGH !

They outlawed them decades ago because people got electrocuted with them......have at it...

This thing helps keep you in shape . . . -probably weighs the same as 2 bowling balls . . . UGH !

Shoot, I was recently at an estate sale that had one of these old saws.......I thought someone had screwed it to the workbench! I grabbed it, and only pulled myself closer to it, the saw didn't move! I didn't pursue it though because the price tag had 'vintage' and 'character' written on it which translated into a stupid price.

Several years ago my next door neighbor was cleaning out his workshop and offered me several tools that he no longer had any use . . . and without blinking an eye, bought all of them.

This drill - probably cost me $20 . . . they don't make them like this anymore . . . and this thing is a hoss . . .

View attachment 1104630

and it's "probably" not a good idea, when you plug it in and the cord starts sparking . . . and catches on fire . . . can you guess why that happened ? ? ? ?

View attachment 1104631

This was the wires inside the handle that attached to the switch . . . so brittle that they were cracking when they were removed form the drill . . .

View attachment 1104632

So now . . . this bad boy is sporting a new cord and plug . . . and ready to help me with the next project . . .

View attachment 1104633

That's a wrist breaker! Looks like it has a place to insert a short piece of pipe in it for a side handle. I might still have mine somewhere. With the gear reduction, letting off the trigger, it still makes a partial revolution. Been there, done that.

I was working with a guy using one up on some scaffolding. Drilling half inch holes in a I beam overhead he had the trigger locked when the drill bit caught. He couldn't hold on to it, let go and it fell to his feet, grabbed his pants leg and became an automatic tourniquet on his leg. I quickly grabbed the cord and unplugged it. He didn't loose any skin but his pants leg was done. Think one step ahead using it!

Ya see there is a certain degree of skill (no pun intended) to operate powered tools, part of which is the understanding of the consequences of its use or better said when things do not go smoothly. Despite some expressed fear concerning this tool, I am pretty certain that it was not a "widow maker" and was most likely sold in the thousands (if not tens of thousands) and used until lighter "sexier" stuff came along. In other words, if it works use it.

I prefer old tools MOST of the time, but some new power tools are pretty good. My boss got me a battery powered Milwaukee M18 1/2" impact gun & drill/driver set. Both are VERY powerful. (drill/driver is a wrist breaker if your not careful) The battery makes them that much more convenient to use because you don't need to drag an air hose or cord with you. I highly recommend the Milwaukee M18 series cordless stuff. I am very impressed with the power. Now I just hope they last a couple years of hard use. They will be worth it.

I prefer old tools MOST of the time, but some new power tools are pretty good. My boss got me a battery powered Milwaukee M18 1/2" impact gun & drill/driver set. Both are VERY powerful. (drill/driver is a wrist breaker if your not careful) The battery makes them that much more convenient to use because you don't need to drag an air hose or cord with you. I highly recommend the Milwaukee M18 series cordless stuff. I am very impressed with the power. Now I just hope they last a couple years of hard use. They will be worth it.

Don't get me wrong - I also own the DeWalt 12V brushless drill and impact . . . they are incredible for their "niche" . . . but would you want to drill a 2 1/2" hole through 1/4" steel with the battery version, or a corded version . . .

ME . . . think I'll be using the corded version . . .

I like the old and the new stuff. I use my tools until they can't be used anymore and some of them are 50 years old. I generally don't go looking for them though. I did buy a 50 year old table saw last year but I like the rack and pinion fence on my Dewalt alot better and it's a lot handier to move around too. Mechanical, I buy old Snap On stuff when I find it for a decent price.

It's grounded . . . I made sure of that . . .

YOU are the ground on a metal cased power tool...I have thrown every metal cased hand power tool I have in the garbage, I put a greater value on my life and cheap is not always better or safer.

Last edited:
Made for when men were men...
I'm not going to Red X you here....but I do disagree.

They were made for men when men didn't know any better or worry about the consequences ....is more accurate.

I started my apprenticeship having to use and repair those old style power drills like @conv67bdere showed above. The brand name was Rupes, and it was a mean mofo of a machine - gear reduced, so it hardly turned when drilling big holes....and heavy as. Not the sort of drill to go swinging around like the modern plastic equivalent.

I prefer battery power these days for the majority of my work....but I do break out the powered Metabo (German made) for more serious work, like mixing buckets of tile adhesive etc...or major timber drilling. Nothing touches my modern Makita 18V tools for versaltiy and personal safety.....unless the unusual happens.

I did get myself caught up drilling a hole through a small block of 4"x2" a couple of months ago, and managed to smash the handle of my newest Makita drill - with the 3/4" auger bit catching a decent nail....the wood was peppered with nails. That's another story - nail guns have allowed 'builders' or 'carpenters' the luxury of firing nails everywhere....a hazard for the Sparky. :rolleyes:

:xscuseless:

20210305_095653.jpg
20210305_130951.jpg

Drill has been repaired....picked it up last week.

I was so shocked at what happened, that I had to make a video straight afterwards....I didn't use the torque arm due to lack of space in the tight corner of the door frame area. That arm would have saved me. I did hear a loud crack, and initially thought it was my hand breaking.....lucky me. :D

:luvplace:

All joking aside, I love the Makita range of tools....and I think I am addicted to buying more. :lol:

Last edited:
The power tool led the way for wooden ladders to also be outlawed. After all my years in the steel and foundry industry I saw people make bad choices which in some cases cost them their lives. Small things like wearing wedding bands while at work, standing in front of large high voltage breaker boxes when pulling switches and waking through active conveyors just to mention a few. I ended up with a “what if” attitude before doing any job, it only takes a moment and it could save your life.

YOU are the ground on a metal cased power tool...I have thrown every metal cased hand power tool I have in the garbage, I put a greater value on my life and cheap is not always better or safer.
I think we get the point, you don't like them:rolleyes:. Electricity follows the path of least resistance which sure as hell isn't your body if you have a working ground so I really don't get the "you are the ground" statement?:realcrazy:

View attachment 1104630

View attachment 1104631

View attachment 1104632

View attachment 1104633
We have one almost identical and we're still alive lol. Yes the composite/plastic ones are safer and lighter but they aren't nearly as tough.. I think most of us have enough common sense to not urinate on our hands while operating them:lol:.

I'm keeping mine.

Adding a new wire with a ground doesn’t solve the problem, you use what you want and I will use what I want.

Auto Transport Service
Back