• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Good price for IR231C?

Billccm

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:15 AM
Reaction score
Hi All:

Been shopping for the best value in an impact. It seems unanimous that the IR231C is the very best for the money (researched on various forums, tool reviews, etc).

I'm open to any opinions.

Prices seems to bounce everywhere from $100 to $475. Looking on eBay this seems to be a good value:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ingersoll-R...:g:VfcAAOSw~gRV6giS&item=401042684684&vxp=mtr

Thanks for any advice. Have a nice day, Bill

Check Walmart on those IR impacts. I bought one last year. Not the top of the line but a good one for the money.

I have an old IR impact gun that I bought new in 1980. That old USA-made beast will still twist off 1/2 bolts, without a grunt. It was probably the best investment I've made on a tool.

Make sure your getting real IR product and not a fake. That's a big swing in prices.

I have used the Ir usa made product with great results. My impact gun from IR holds up. Make sure you get us made product. I can't stress enough how important it is tobuy American Made tools.

It's made in Taiwan. I was shocked even Mac, Cornwell, and Matco are made in Taiwan.
I'll seach eBay for a used USA model.

I've had one for about 35 years, paid around $200. At the time it was one of the most powerful for the price you could buy. It's still a very good impact. It's somewhat heavy, some of the newer models are quite a bit lighter and just as powerful, but more expensive.

I think the 2135 ti gun is better. I worked in car garage for years and now work on heavy equipment for the past 10 years and these gun take a pounding. I think it's the best gun for the money

We've used several brands and have really good luck with Napas Aircats, outlasting the rest at work.

US made 231 can be had on ebay or at pawn shops or craigslist for $50.

If you want about 150 more lbs of torque, get a 232. Somewhat hared to find but can still find for $50. Also marketed as thunder gun with titanium hammer and an additional 50 pounds tq.

I still have my 232 I bought used from 1985 high school.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back