• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is best grease for wheel bearings? Recommendations, please.

Big Bad Dad

Local time
10:13 PM
Reaction score
After years of red grease turning to liquid and leaking out of the gun in my tool box, I switched to Lucas Xtra Heavy Duty "green" grease. Good stuff, and good online reviews. So I have been using it for a couple of years, including the wheel bearings in my car trailer and the wheel bearings and front suspension, etc. in my vehicles. I do not want to mix different greases in wheel bearings, as that can cause problems if the greases are not compatible. NOW, I can't get the Lucas green grease any more. Seems they had a plant fire and/or supply chain issues. I need to know what grease is compatible, and will work with the Lucas. I tried contacting Lucas thru their website, and did not get a response. I need to find another grease to use in my trailer wheel bearings now. I guess I will need to clean and repack the ones with Lucas in them when the time comes.... Anyway, what wheel bearing grease have you guys found to be the best, and that doesn't turn to liquid when left in the tool box?
Thanks

Chemtool plant in Rockton IL.had an explosion and fire. I think they made all of Lucas grease. Their green grease seemed very good. I've gone back to red hi temp any brand. It sucks when the oil separates from the base in the grease. I keep my grease guns in a plastic pail.

Buy amsoil best I have ever worked with.

I’ve been using John Deere Polyurea synthetic grease in wheel bearings, and many other applications for 25 years or so. Never had any problems, less equipment bearing failures since I started using it. Most commonly comes in 14 oz. tubes.

Most important feature is to make it is high temperature grease. Not all greases are. I use Redline Syn grease.

I’ve been using John Deere Polyurea synthetic grease in wheel bearings, and many other applications for 25 years or so. Never had any problems, less equipment bearing failures since I started using it. Most commonly comes in 14 oz. tubes.
Multiple molecule piss grease?

piece of piss.jpg

Again, it's not easy going green...
:BangHead:

I falsely accused Lucas of not responding. Their response just got sent to my spam folder. I do appreciate the factual response, as I now know what I need to do. I owe Lucas a major apology. I just thought to check my spam folder for my e mails. They actually DID respond to my inquiry. It just got sent to spam. Anyway, they let me know that there is no compatible substitute for the Xtra HD. So, with that information, I know what I need to do. And will retract my comments about no longer using Lucas products.
See the response>
Good morning, I hope all is well. The bad news is there is a major shortage in the additives it takes to make this product and we do not get the additives in very often. So, when we do we send it out to the oldest backorder customers we have so keep an eye out at your local parts store to see if they get it in. I say this because we do not have anything to replace this product nothing compatible. You would have to clean out everything to use another grease Sorry. I hope this helps.

Thanks
Jim B.

Auto Transport Service
Back