• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Good rr exhaust tips that won’t rust?

Sonny

It’s all fun til the rabbit gets the gun.
Local time
4:24 PM
Reaction score
Any recommendations for new 2 1/2” oval exhaust tips? I live in Florida so non rusting is Prefered. Thanks

Well, the factory ones were 2-1/4". I've seen some aftermarket ones for larger pipes, but to have "no rust" they'd have to be made of 316 stainless steel or something like that....and stainless ain't cheap, so I'm guessing they're not stainless.

Maybe just try to coat them with a bit of WD-40? (wow, I think that's the 10,001 use). Or better yet...WAX them. Anything you can do to keep air (oxygen) from contacting the surface will reduce/slow down rust + the exhaust tips aren't that hot, so most stuff won't burn off. Just a thought.

I have a 2.5” aftermarket exhaust system. There are tips that size on eBay for $99 (stainless and chrome) but don’t know if they are good or not.

That’s a good price if they’re decent steel and chrome. It cost me more,than,that to,get mine rechromed. Same tail pipes.

Never heard of Tips that rusted even in the Soupy northeast where I grew up. Well I haven't completely grown up, but have not heard of rusty tips. Mine takes the box tips that were purchased from Dodge in 88. Zero care over the years. No rust.

Never heard of Tips that rusted even in the Soupy northeast where I grew up. Well I haven't completely grown up, but have not heard of rusty tips. Mine takes the box tips that were purchased from Dodge in 88. Zero care over the years. No rust.
My friend had purchased new tips from dealer in about '88 also for his '69 road runner. He would wax them, hoping to preserve them. He started noticing they were starting to rust in about 6 short months.
The original ones on my '69 charger were still pretty nice, no rust.

Auto Transport Service
Back